Author Topic: Trail cam  (Read 3492 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Trail cam
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 08:56:29 pm »
I set it up in the living room yesterday and checked the card today. No pics. I tried a second card(used with other trail cam) set it up in the living room, 2 hours there were 160 pics of my wife and myself. I deleted those and set the camera up on our salt lick. I'll check it tomorrow. This salt lick has been here for 20 or more years and has become a meeting place.  :G  (B) (-_)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 11:00:26 am »
I checked the card today and nothing was on it. I'll put it back out and give it a few days before I check again. Starting tonight we are going to get a warm up with no below freezing temps all of next week. After a couple of weeks below freezing we might get more movement with this January thaw.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 11:49:14 am »
Pat you said the one card didn't work and then the one that did you deleted pictures and put it outside and got zero pictures. Did you format the cards?
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 01:25:03 pm »
It's the same card that worked inside. I just put it back in the camera and brought it outside.  I'm not sure exactly how to format a card. Between us, my wife and I have 3 digital cameras. I've found that the cards I use in these cameras don't always work in the trail cams. This card and the one that didn't work in the trail cam both worked in my other trail cam. I think I'll buy a new card just for the trail cam.

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2018, 08:06:30 am »
I second what PatB says about trail cam cards and regular cam cards not being compatible. I have in the past found that if I took one of my trail cam cards and used it in my regular camera it would no longer work in the trail cam. Since I have not tried that with my Browning, I don't know whether that is true with it .

WA

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2018, 08:13:56 am »
You will probably need to format the memory cards.  Your instructions should explain how to do that.  It's usually fairly simple.   Switching cards from different cameras can goof them up and you have to format them again. 

Memory cards are pretty cheap.  I have 2 for my camera.  I swap them out whenever I go check it. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 08:28:57 am »
I agree with Clint. I just format my cards on my computer. I click on file, then click on sd card. Then I left click might even be double clicks on some of these. Then it brings up a box with options one of them is format. When you format it wil erase card. I also do like Clint and have two cards I switch out when I check. Also my trail camera says to always turn off power before removing card and not turn it on again until card is put back in. I'm terrible on computer but once you figure it out it easy.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 09:40:33 am »
I think having at least 2 cards dedicated to the trail cam is the way to go.
I always turn off the camera before removing the card and don't turn it back on until the card is installed.
I'm heading to town today so I'll pick up another card just for the trail cam.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2018, 12:21:42 pm »
Formatting means prepare your disk to be usable by your software system
Devices using different software systems ( pc, smartphones, cameras ecc..) are usually able to read/write only a limited set of "formats" and may not be able to use others
So you must check on your device instructions which type of formatting your disk needs to be usable by that specific device.
Usually cameras and video recorders have a function to format the inserted card in a way they like (check the functions menu).

Remember. Format WILL ERASE every data on your card !