Author Topic: Straightening Jigs?  (Read 3888 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

Straightening Jigs?
« on: December 31, 2017, 07:53:05 am »
Hi folks,

I've tried a few different methods for straitening shafts, but have yet to come up with something I'm really happy with. I'd really like to make something that works every time.

Would anyone be willing to share what works for them?

Many thanks
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Straightening Jigs?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 11:09:28 am »
Look up Danznbars jig.  It's the best I've seen.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 11:49:41 am »
Look up Danznbars jig.  It's the best I've seen.

This

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 12:24:48 pm »
There is a bit of a learning curve to straightening arrows. For me it took 40-50 shafts and then all of a sudden it seemed fairly easy. I heat my barbecue up to about 400 degrees and stick the shaft in the rotisserie hole for about 20 seconds and then straighten by hand to get the major bends out. Then I just use one of these and a heat gun for the smaller wiggles. Remember to do it in 3 or 4 stages and let it cool between stages. Working with a dozen or so shafts lets the first one cool while you're working on the others. I think the key is being able to see where it's bent more than the actual method you use to straighten it. I just takes a little time to train your eyes. If I can train my old eyes you shouldn't have a problem.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 12:36:33 pm »
I use my hands in most cases but for excess bends I use an arrow wrench similar to what DC posted. I also have an old electric pole insulator I use sometimes. I'll post pics later of it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline willie

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 03:47:03 pm »
Upstate
some pics of primitive....
Code: [Select]
https://www.google.com/search?q=antler+arrow+straightener&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiu9O-gnbXYAhVC2WMKHXnBBm0Q7AkIOQ

but as DC points out, straightening can be more about method than tool. And not all things that have been called arrow straightners may have used for arrows.

Code: [Select]
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/paleoplanet69529/so-called-arrowshaft-straightener-t6646.html
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 04:01:16 pm by willie »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 04:26:24 pm »
Here are the ceramic electric pole insulators I sometimes use. The smoothness of the ceramic and the smooth curves is what makes them work. You might be able to find these in an antique or junk shop.

...but most of the hardwood shoots and cane I use are straightened by hand.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TimBo

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 05:00:50 pm »
Here is the one mentioned above...and the photos are still there! 

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=57183.0

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 06:46:12 pm »
Thanks for all the input guys.  )P(

Dbars jig looks really nice and easy to use. I think I may give that one a try  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 08:46:14 pm »
If you make it to Marshall you'll probably get to see him using it in person. It's as much how he uses it as how it works but it does work good.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 06:34:51 pm »
Here are the ceramic electric pole insulators I sometimes use. The smoothness of the ceramic and the smooth curves is what makes them work. ...

I'll bet they would be magic if heated!
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 05:23:25 am »
If you make it to Marshall you'll probably get to see him using it in person. It's as much how he uses it as how it works but it does work good.
Bjrogg

+1
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Nidhoggr

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 10:36:17 am »
There is a bit of a learning curve to straightening arrows. For me it took 40-50 shafts and then all of a sudden it seemed fairly easy. I heat my barbecue up to about 400 degrees and stick the shaft in the rotisserie hole for about 20 seconds and then straighten by hand to get the major bends out. Then I just use one of these and a heat gun for the smaller wiggles. Remember to do it in 3 or 4 stages and let it cool between stages. Working with a dozen or so shafts lets the first one cool while you're working on the others. I think the key is being able to see where it's bent more than the actual method you use to straighten it. I just takes a little time to train your eyes. If I can train my old eyes you shouldn't have a problem.

I discovered that you can do that by accident the other day lol.  Was trying to dry the wood stain on the shaft in the stove.  Pulled it out and wiggled it a bit and realized "Oh wow! it's flexing!".  So i laid it flat on a table and played around with it for a few.  Now it's pretty much straight.