Author Topic: Winter mornings with Friends  (Read 4953 times)

Offline Buffalogobbler

Re: Winter mornings at Hawkeye
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2018, 12:09:54 pm »
Brian,
Even the thermometer looks cold! (S)

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 02:21:23 pm »
Looks like a grea time had by all. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BrianS

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2018, 12:48:16 pm »
What a difference a few days makes! Recent above freezing temps and a little rain made most of our snow disappear. I am hoping we get some snow this upcoming week for our annual snowshoe shoot next Saturday. Beautiful morning to be in the woods even without the snow. Our creek is flowing again. We had a good size crew this morning with several shooting selfbows. Arrows actually stayed in the unfrozen 3d targets. Lost arrows from previous mornings that were buried in snow were visible again and were easily retrieved.  Quarter target was won by Mark. Afterwards we enjoyed a excellent breakfast cooked up by Tom in the Clubhouse.
Another great Winter morning shared with Friends. Hated to leave this morning!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 07:30:15 am by BrianS »

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 12:36:48 pm »
It was a beautiful morning Brian!
I think Mark was a bit shocked to win the quarter shoot, because he forgot the cash on the rock and was walking away with the group when I called him back.

Kevin

Offline BrianS

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 06:05:43 pm »
Kevin,
I was happy to see Mark win. Mark is one of the best Hunters, Trappers and Fishermen I know (and that is saying a bunch with many of my other friends being damn good Outdoorsmen! I keep hoping some of their skill rubs off on me).  It is going to be a long week for me with the anticipation of our annual Snowshoe Shoot this Saturday. Hands down it is my favorite event of the Winter.
Brian
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 07:31:26 am by BrianS »

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2018, 07:14:00 am »
What a hairy lookin bunch!
It's a good thing Pam was there, we needed someone whose attractive in the pic to liven it up.

Kevin

Offline BrianS

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2018, 07:52:29 am »
Been "tinkering around" with rebuilding my selfmade snowshoes. I have the weight down to very close to my Ojibawa shoes. Beefed up a few areas. I want to try them out first but I may run our course using them.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2018, 08:19:21 am »
They look like they will work great Brian.

Kevin

Offline BrianS

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2018, 01:24:21 pm »
We held our annual Snowshoe Shoot this morning. It was a cold morning with a bright blue sky and just enough snow that the course could be run with snowshoes. All Classes were well represented this year with a total of 18 Shooters. In addition to the 18 Shooters, 6 Spectators attended. There was a real nice fire going at the start line to keep warm by while the Shooters waited for Hannah to send them off. The Compound Class shot first followed by the Traditional Class with the Selbow Class leaving last. The half mile course consisted of 5 3D targets and one paper target (the Wild Yeti). Scoring was 10,8,5. Afterwards, Phil and Dave cooked up a hot lunch of hot dogs and chili along with a great salad made by Lynnn. The “Traveling Deer Call” was raffled off. Mark Thill will take the call with him hunting this Fall. T Shirts were awarded to the Winners in each Class. Some Members had brought up some projects they have been working on including Andy who brought up some of the nicest handmade knives I have seen. Dino had some primitive snowshoe frames he built from raw materials from his woodlot.
I would like to thank Hannah for doing the start line times, Dave B. for doing the finish line times, Kevin for helping setup targets and supplying the Yeti target, Phil and Dave for cooking Lunch, Tom H. for helping pick up targets, Lynn for taking pictures, Sue for maintaining the campfire and everyone else who attended.
Here are the results for the Selfbow Class:
Colton 51 (15:00)
Brian 46 (16:02)
Kevin 39 (15:09)
Hole in the Bow Chuck 36 (15:18)
Jim N. 35 (12:28)
Rob 34 (12:02)
Tom H 30 (10:35)
Dino 28 (7:30)
Gene 28 (14:45)

Offline BrianS

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2018, 04:02:21 pm »
A couple more pictures from the Self bow Class

Offline BrianS

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2018, 04:07:02 pm »
A few more:

Offline BrianS

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2018, 04:53:30 pm »
These made it through the course without incident. As if my short leg 60 year old body needed anything more to slow me down running against all these younger guys. I had the slowest time of the day but I had a blast.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2018, 08:50:48 pm »
The snow shoe shoot was a lot of fun again this year Brian.
Your home made shoes were pretty cool,
it was nice to see our youngest competitor Colton out shoot all of the old geezers to win his class and I think everyone slew the Giant wild yeti!

Kevin

Offline chamookman

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2018, 02:33:42 am »
Sure looks like a lot of FUN - Thanks for sharing   (=) :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2018, 05:01:51 am »
Really great that you guys get together like that. Looks like a lot of fun and friendly competition.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise