Author Topic: Reading a Gizmo?  (Read 1250 times)

Offline JWMALONE

Reading a Gizmo?
« on: January 22, 2018, 11:52:00 am »
Hello Guys. These pics are of the marks my gizmo made, first time I've had these. I am assuming I should only remove wood from the side with the pencil marks. This I was told is also a sign of twisting or how to find them. Thanks guys.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Reading a Gizmo?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 02:14:59 pm »
I don't do side to side marking with a gizmo, only down the center. I do draw a zigzag pencil line across the gizmo mark side to side on the limb to be sure I take wood off evenly.

My advise is mark a center line with your gizmo, get your bow bending correctly, if the string is off center as you close in on final poundage work the strong side of the limbs to center it.  It sounds like you are getting too much information from your gizmo that may take you off into space with your tillering.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 08:09:01 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 02:19:15 pm »
I believe you're correct. Sometimes my brain thinks its Einstein..
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 02:20:16 pm »
I agree with Eric. However if I suspect a twist I'll run the Gizmo down each side of the belly. This will show where to remove wood to get the twist out.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 01:05:22 am »
Saved my tender body just in time!  I'm getting ready to start tillering, and this reminded me to "gizmo" as well6!  Hope to take some pics and post tomorrow!  If I don't go goose hunting >:D!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry