Author Topic: Opinions Wanted  (Read 6247 times)

Offline barebo

Re: Opinions Wanted
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2018, 02:02:04 pm »
This one was a Red Oak board from Lowes. Sorry for the confusion!
I've got one Hop Hornbeam stave from a tree I cut 2 years ago that yielded 6 nice staves - 5 bows gone and still shooting!

Offline barebo

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2018, 02:11:13 pm »
By the way George - Thank You for the kind words - you opinion counts for me!

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2018, 04:43:06 pm »
I think this bow turned out great and looks like it will be a great shooter as well! I think your friend will be very pleased with it and besides having a prominent place to display it I am sure he will be bit by the bowyer's bug and start to target shoot this bow before too long.

Offline barebo

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2018, 07:17:36 pm »
Philipp - thanks for following along and the positive feedback. The bow stylistically was a standard board bow that usually gets a stain and some Helmsman spar or Tru Oil finish.

Having to come up with the window dressing was out of my wheel house, but it was actually fun. I'm not planning any more like it - back to simple selfbows.

Offline M2A

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2018, 05:31:58 pm »
Your friend is a luck fella to get a custom bow like that. Great looking bow! Cool idea. I do like the inlay! Mike 

Offline barebo

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2018, 04:57:38 am »
I took the bow to him yesterday afternoon. He has a 300 acre farm several generations back to the early 1800's- non working now, and I brought a bag target to show him how to shoot and care for an all wood bow. He mentioned the Bear Kodiak again and I explained that with no fiberglass, he'd have to be more aware of what he did with this one.

We got it strung and I had a half dozen arrows in my hip quiver, and I was going to Robin Hood a few. Yeah - Right!! Kevin out shot me and showed me up with his new bow so when we get to work
I can't wait to hear the music!!

Seriously - he really loves it and it was great to see him bending those limbs. Now our Mason wants me to do a Chevelle SS 454 bow for him :-[

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2018, 05:41:36 am »
Very cool story barebo. It always feels so good watching  someone really enjoy shooting one of your bows. Especially one so personal. When you get done with that SS Chevelle I'd love a AMC Gremlin X plum crazy with gold racing stripes.lol
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline barebo

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2018, 04:16:35 pm »
You're 100% right - even though Kevin had a better group than I did, seeing the smile on his face and hearing "how cool this is" was to me what it's all about.
Kinda shying away from the billboard bows - I just roughed out a beautiful HHB stave that I'm hoping to turn into this years 3-D bow.