Author Topic: Colorado hunting laws  (Read 3227 times)

Offline k-hat

Colorado hunting laws
« on: January 01, 2018, 06:57:28 pm »
Any of you folks that live in Colorado, could you clarify the hunting laws there?  Apparently I've been pretty spoiled living in Texas, but we dream of moving to Colorado and I can't believe the laws there if my understanding is correct.  So in Tx, if I go buy my hunting license and deer tags (they are actually included with the license, though I understand many states sell them separately), I can hunt on any private property as long as it's mine or I have permission from the owner (outside of city limits, etc).

So all I really want to know is, if I have 30or so rural acres in  CO (as a resident, not out of state), can I get my license and deer tags and hunt my own property?  Does the "draw" for deer tags apply to all hunters regardless of hunting locale?(here the draw only applies to certain public lands)If I understand correctly, a resident in CO isn't guaranteed deer tags in any year???  Seems to me it is very geared to cater to commercial hunting outfits and not the common man if that is the case.

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Colorado hunting laws
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 12:33:34 am »
K-hat,
If you have been a resident for 6 months, you qualify for resident tags.  Each big game species is separate, deer elk, pronghorn, bear, sheep, mountain goat lion.  Generally the state is divided into game management unit, and you select where you want to hunt.  There are some wide area licenses, and land owners ca apply for tags for their land.  Go to www.cpw.state.co.us and click on Hunting.  Small game, waterfowl, and turkey are separate tags, and may be statewide.  Brochures are published for each species.  If you were born on or after 1 January 1949, you need a Hunter Education Card, any state is valid.
Hawkdancer (Jerry Mc Connell, Master Hunter Ed. Instructor)
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline k-hat

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 07:39:30 pm »
Thanks Hawkdancer for the reply.  I think I'm getting a handle on it.  I was having some difficulty distinguishing between the different kinds of tags ( draw, leftover draw, otc, etc) and their availability, and that their availability varied by region, then all the different seasons on top of that!  Crazy system.  Like I said, have it easy here, I just go get my license and tags at once and go hunting pretty much wherever!

Looks like the area we are looking at has much more antlerless elk availability, which is fine with me. 

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 02:52:51 pm »
There are some changes in the draw this year.  Check out the website for the updates.  Deer tags are by draw only, elk and pronghorn have some OTC tags, as well as leftovers.  Most of the otc tags are at least area wide.  There is land available, but is isn't cheap!  Unless you have won the big lottery >:D!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 05:50:25 am »
My son and I are planning a trip this Sept. We put in last year for the drawing for preference points only, almost a guarantee to get drawn this year they say, :-\  we will see. We are going to unit 24 in the White river area, above Rifle CO.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 01:33:37 pm »
Pappy,
That is a nice area, straight country, straight up and straight down, luckily somewhat flat in between!  Easy to find though -get on I-70, and turn right at Rifle!  Get in good shape, too, most of it is above 7,000 ft elevation, and dry.  Stay hydrated, and limit the "Colorado Koolaid >:D!  Real pretty country, though.  It is a mix of private and public ground, and the trespass law is pretty strict. Get good maps.
I like the 1:24000 USGS, but Huntdata.com has a series of hunting area maps that are pretty good, and also 1:24k, but not cheap.  Usually, nice weather, but you never know!  Are you Coming out for muzzleloading season?
Hawkdancer
Jerry