Author Topic: living in the woods.  (Read 4721 times)

Offline huntertrapper

living in the woods.
« on: March 23, 2008, 12:36:43 am »
what do ya guys pack along to hunt or just be in the woods for no reason at all. for me i try to stay primitive/ traditional. summer to fall, a wool blanket, sheepskin or deer hide to lay on and a good tarp to keep me dry. :) also, a small tin can for cookin and an aluminum canteen and a few other things. and i usually carry this in my deer hide back pack my "indian" great aunt made for me. but as for now in winter ill take a light sleeping bag and a few extra blankets. ;D what do you guys take with ya. your primitive or modern things. dont matter. ;D ;D
Modern Day Tramp

Bishop

Re: living in the woods.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 02:01:53 am »
We do a lot of GeoCaching, fishing and general wondering around and i have a day pack i take with us everywhere. Survival blankets, Knife, fire starter, compass, gps, batteries, ponchos, water purification tabs, extra socks...nothing too primitive...i guess if i had better woods skills i would be more comfortable with less.
Bishop

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 02:49:27 am »
Bow , knives, tommy hawk.. war bag... arrows....... horse, saddle and bedrole.. canteen  coffeepot , frying pan....if i am going to the high country I also bring my 44 six shooter as a grizz stopper .... this is what i take for anything inside of a month.. longer trips i bring a change of underwear...lol 
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 02:50:42 am »
Most of my hunting is not primitive. I use primitive hunting equipment and stay in a camp with no electricity or running water but thats as primitive as it gets...it ain't remote and the other members shoot those other arrow flinging contraptions.  On my elk hunting trip with Kenneth 2 years ago we were in a wilderness area and I had similar stuff as Bishop. A good survival kit is easy to put together with easily obtained items. I carried 3 different fire starters; flint and steel, water proof matches and a propane lighter plus A couple of kindling types; shredded hemp twine, cotton balls saturated with vasoline and solid fuel sticks, a space blanket, water purification tabs, safety whistle and signal mirror.
         Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 02:57:47 am »
I take my toma hawk, a pocket knife a brain tan bag, and a mag fire starter in case its to humid out to start a friction fire. a good pare of braintan moccasins and my bow.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 05:35:02 am »
For hunting I don't carry much with me....hunting license, my weapons(s) and related gear, LBE (load bearing equipment), water, and something to haul the critter out of the woods (like a bag and some rope).
For camping, I carry a map, cell phone, two tents, headgear, backpack, knife, sleeping bag, dry food, canteen, extra set of clothes, lots of socks, small shovel, rain gear, flashlight, small hatchet (sometimes), walking stick (sometimes), toiletries, survival kit, sewing kit, and mess kit, and the best pair of hiking boots I can buy.
Oh yeah, I never camp or hunt more than a 1/2mile from a source of potable water. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Cromm

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 09:43:52 pm »
Hi,soft toilet roll and bag of sugar. Everything else i can live without. >:D >:D ;D
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 02:15:57 pm »
I don't go to primitive,Can't help it but I like to be confrontable.Can't sleep without music. ;) ;D
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 06:26:36 pm »
jeesh i bet you do live comfortably :D
Modern Day Tramp

Offline bowmunky13

• eat more human
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 11:00:34 pm »
bow, quiver packed as full as possible with arrows, my bow quiver for carryin a few at a time, my 1937 flat blade hatchet, my alice pack, a two quart canteen two one quarts, water, one mre for emergencies, extra shirts, socks and under wear, my machette, at least three smaller knives for carvin up my kill, a tarp, my sub zero sleep kit, my foam sleep mat, two wet weather bags, some trash bags and rope... my spool of 550 cord, my bow care kit( homemade french polish and a few rags), a fishing kit a mess kit and my super first aide kit that can treat anything.... almost.... yeah i think that is it... i pack it all into my camp area and carry my little survival kit and some dried food allong with my bow my two quart and my quiver full of arra's 8)
death by natural causes