Main Discussion Area > Around the Campfire

Share your tips and tricks.

(1/19) > >>

bjrogg:
In the bow section an old post from Badger was brought back to daylight. I was titled something like another crazy Badger idea. I liked it. He wanted to start a book to have bowyers give tips tricks and different ways of building bows. It was perhaps ambitious and never saw print. I thought maybe we could just start a post and people could just and little tricks they discovered and share them. Maybe it could go to a sticky on top if it caught on.

I've learned a lot of tricks from people on this site. Here are two I just kinda stumbled on myself that I would like to share. Hopefully others will pick the ball up and keep it going.

My tip #1 is something I've shared before on this site. You search removing winter Bark and cambium with a power washer. I had about 20 HHB staves that I had harvested during the winter and a Elm stave that was gifted to me that had the Bark dried on for several years. I removed the Bark from the Elm but trying to remove the cambium and still have a pristine back was proving difficult. I'd head about steam or leaving in shower. I decided to try something out of the box. We have a power washer that heats hot water. I removed the Bark and cambium from the approx 20 HHB staves and the Elm in something like a hour if I remember right. The backs were pristine on some very ungulating HHB. It would have been nearly impossible to do this with a scrapper. For more information and pictures search for my original thread.

Trick #2 is a simple one I just stumbled on one night while trying to scrape and rasp tip end of limb. It always seems hard to hold in vice to secure good enough to work on. I noticed a floor squeegee with a hollow handle leaning against the wall. I took it and put the tip of my bow in the end of the hollow handle with the squeegee straight down to the floor. I can strattel the handle and really put some down pressure on my rasp or scapper.
Hope these tips help someone and others share theirs
Bjrogg

High-Desert:
I like the idea of this post. Good call Bjrogg

BowEd:
Good post BJ.

TimBo:
Well, I probably won't have much to contribute to this thread, but it's a great idea!  Kind of like those TBB chapters with miscellaneous tips.

upstatenybowyer:
Definitely a great idea BJ. Let me ponder this a bit and see if I've got anything worth sharing...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version