Author Topic: Share your tips and tricks.  (Read 134366 times)

Offline DC

Re: Share your tips and tricks.
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2018, 01:02:54 pm »
Yet another way of checking your tiller. This is an easy way of telling if your limbs are even. Take a picture of the bow on the tree. Print a low res copy of the picture. Carefully cut out along the back of the bow(this is where those kindergarten skills come in) turn half of the picture over and compare. This won't tell if your limbs are bending in the right spot but it will tell you if they're even. I would have swore that one limb of this bow was bent more but the pic doesn't lie.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2018, 01:52:01 pm »
Another tip,  when,  not if you get your fingers or entire hand glued to your bow with superglue.  It can be easly removed by applying cooking oil to said hand. 
Just recently remembered that one....

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline DC

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2018, 03:04:15 pm »
You'd have fun getting into a hospital like that, especially if you'd glued an arrow to the other hand :D :D

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2018, 03:59:46 pm »
Great tips DC and Patrick
DC better going with bow and arrow stuck to your hand than toilet seat stuck to your butt.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2018, 04:40:00 pm »
Less chance of getting shot with the toilet seat. ;)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2018, 07:33:09 pm »
Well mine was a deer antler tip overlay!

Another tip,  after flatening a antler tip overlay always fill the pith with superglue and let it dry. Then a little bit of sanding on a flat surface and your ready to glue it on. 

That is if its not covered with cooking oil like mine was!

Patrick 
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2018, 12:00:56 pm »
When steaming recurve in tips it's always nice to have another set of hands. I've tried several different methods of holding tip and metal backer strip on caul. This is what I finally settled on and I love it. It's like another set of hands when you really need them. It's also very fast which is extremely important. I'll let the pictures tell the story
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 12:53:35 pm by bjrogg »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2018, 09:13:23 am »
A product here that is very useful for glueing purposes.An A+++ product.It's called Tear Mender.Instructions are on the back of bottle but basically it's a white latex type glue used to repair canvas.Actually will hold better than stitching.The liquid is massaged into the surface of each item then pressed together.Instant bond as contact cement.I've used it bonding many things here permanently.I used it to make trade wool lined canvas bow cases.It basically made the bow case waterproof also.You can google it.

I've also used the product to repair many canvas items as I have a wall tent/teepee/and squaw cooler awnings.Repaired deer blinds also.It stands the test of time.Good product.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 08:05:50 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2018, 11:25:44 am »
Looks like good stuff. I have a few pairs on jeans that I could use that on.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2018, 02:09:31 pm »
I like that.Thinking practicality first.Should work too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2018, 02:18:16 pm »
I can think of a few things right now I'd like to use it on. Never seen it before where do you buy it?
Bjrogg

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2018, 08:32:23 pm »
I thought I would offer a few safety tips from my own experiences.

Wear safety glasses while splitting staves.  I had a very close call when a piece of the hammer head chipped off and hit me very hard right between the eyes.  An inch either way and I would have lost an eye.

When splitting staves don't put your fingers in the split.  The wedge can pop out and your fingers will be pinched.

Take someone with you when cutting trees.  Accidents can happen quickly when operating a chainsaw and felling large trees. 

Remember hearing protection while operating power equipment and splitting staves.   You want to be able to hear those deer sneaking up behind you in the fall.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline DC

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2018, 12:45:47 pm »
I discovered something today about sandpaper. I normally just fold a sheet in half and then in half again. I noticed that the inside surfaces were not sharp when I went to use them. I googled it and found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oePuXbMPMzw   The surfaces that rub against each other wear themselves smooth before you get a chance to use them. This method of folding solves that. This is probably old news for some but it took me 70 years to sort it out ;D ;D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2018, 01:51:23 pm »
I thought I would offer a few safety tips from my own experiences.

Wear safety glasses while splitting staves.  I had a very close call when a piece of the hammer head chipped off and hit me very hard right between the eyes.  An inch either way and I would have lost an eye.

When splitting staves don't put your fingers in the split.  The wedge can pop out and your fingers will be pinched.

Take someone with you when cutting trees.  Accidents can happen quickly when operating a chainsaw and felling large trees. 

Remember hearing protection while operating power equipment and splitting staves.   You want to be able to hear those deer sneaking up behind you in the fall.

I agree 100% and have had all those things happen to me. The ear muffs are HUGE. That ringing doesn't go away when you get older.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2018, 07:03:36 am »
Might seem insignificant, but until I did it always had trouble removing cap from tru oil bottle. Even though my hands are always a mess. I always wipe off bottle, especially top and threads for cap before putting cap back on bottle. Keep it clean and oil free and child safety cap will still be able to be removed.
Bjrogg