Author Topic: G'day All  (Read 2348 times)

Offline Gunsmoke

• Teach me
G'day All
« on: January 02, 2018, 05:07:28 pm »
Well I couldn't see anyplace special to introduce myself so I figured this was as good a place as any.  I'm Steve a fitter and turner by trade and an armourer in the Australian Defence Force.  I'm currently in the RAAF though I am ex-army.  I've made a full circle where it comes to hunting tools.  I started out with an old Pearson compound when I was 13 it was 55# and I shot it barebow and boy did I shoot that bow.  I could look and shoot anywhere out to 40m with that thing.  When I turned 18 I sold all my archery gear and jumped headlong into firearms.  My joining the army didn't help my firearms addiction as I became an armourer and my entire world revolves around firearms.  Well I bought a Hoyt Buffalo in 2013 just before I deployed to the Middle East and over bowed myself.  Thought that a 55# recurve would be cool as I used to shoot a 70# compound.  NOPE.  Not only was it too heavy at 55# but my draw is basically 30" so I'm actually drawing 63#.  I swapped it for a Compund a year ago and shot that for 6 months or so.  Loved the instant results I got with that.  Got bored though so I swapped the guy back (he's a diehard compound shooter anyway).  I have to say I'm loving the recurves I had one built for me at a lower poundage, 47# at 29".  But it blew up, the replacement blew up as well.  Turns out that my bowyer and some others in his area have had a LOT of issues with their epoxy in the last year.  I have another 3rd bow being made as I type this.  It's such a shmae that they blew up as they shot SWEET before they died.  So he I am looking at self bows and contemplating making a board bow asap.  I've got a passion for DIY and everything primitive so here's to me learning a lot from you guys!

Steve
Hoyt Buffalo 63#@30"
Razor Custom Bows Hunter 47#@30"

Much to learn and loving every second of it!

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: G'day All
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 08:22:26 pm »
Welcome to the addiction.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 08:31:53 pm »
Welcome aboard, Gunsmoke!  Keep us posted on your progress.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 05:29:33 am »
Welcome Steve.  A 30" draw is not a problem as long as you take it into account
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 05:41:16 am »
Welcome to PA Gunsmoke. There's a few others on here from down under. Hopefully you guys can get together.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 06:16:42 am »
G'day and welcome to PA! )P(
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Zuma

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 10:46:50 am »
Welcome, I have just recently been invited down to Victoria.
Question? What do you hunt down under?
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Gunsmoke

• Teach me
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 05:55:11 pm »
Zumba,
  We have a very broad range of game animals here in Oz. 7 species of deer, water buffalo, wild bulls, banteng, hogs, wild goats, foxes, hares, rabbits, wild dogs, feral cats (public enemy #1), camels and in a couple of place turkeys. We also have duck and geese in season in certain states. Now not all these animals are in the same areas but generally there is at least foxes, rabbits and pigs and usually at least a species of deer. It’s illegal to hunt any native animal with a bow (except magpie geese). Kangaroos can only be taken with the correct permits and they are usually shot under lights. It’s a chore that I have undertaken for farmers before but there is no challenge nor joy in it.

Victoria has two of our premier deer species Sambar and Hog deer. Reds and fallow are also found there I believe. Sambar are notoriously hard to hunt. So should be good fun with a primitive bow!

Feel free to ask any more questions you have mate.

Steve
Hoyt Buffalo 63#@30"

Offline Zuma

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 08:38:46 pm »
Zumba seems a cool down- under name for a up- over Zuma.
Thank you so much for the awesome reply, What is interesting
I think, is the fact that you folks have actually embraced many of
of your introduced creatures. The pest still remain in the ferrel catogory.
Not quite the same here in the states. A marsupial thing I guess.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Gunsmoke

• Teach me
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 10:35:14 pm »
Zuma,
  My apologises I was on my phone typing that and it must have auto corrected LOL.
Hoyt Buffalo 63#@30"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 03:23:38 pm »
Welcome to PA. Hope you enjoy the ride. Seeing you have Sambar Deer I bet they are really hard to hunt with the Croc's if they hang out in the deep swamps like they do in Florida. Most people I've met that shot one usually find them in real thick vegetation and 3-4' of water.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 08:33:57 pm »
I've wondered what the sinew would be like from a kangaroo...

Also, I think eucalyptus is workable for bow staves?  Is that in your environment?  Hope to see you have some success.

Welcome to PA!
1’—>1’

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 05:09:48 am »
Welcome to the site. You have some of the best of the best here to learn from.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 01:19:41 pm »
Zuma,
  My apologises I was on my phone typing that and it must have auto corrected LOL.

No worries mate! I thought it was funny )P(
Zuma

Offline Gunsmoke

• Teach me
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 06:25:43 pm »
Welcome to PA. Hope you enjoy the ride. Seeing you have Sambar Deer I bet they are really hard to hunt with the Croc's if they hang out in the deep swamps like they do in Florida. Most people I've met that shot one usually find them in real thick vegetation and 3-4' of water.

Actually Sambar and crocs live at opposite ends of the country. But I’ve seen plenty while hunting buffalo in the NT. I was lucky enough to be an invited guest of traditional owners on many hunts while I was posted to Tindal Airbase. Shot a lot of buffalo with my old SMLE this year I’m going back up with my recurve to get it done with a pointy stick.
Hoyt Buffalo 63#@30"