Author Topic: Torque  (Read 5307 times)

Offline DC

Torque
« on: January 07, 2018, 03:05:10 pm »
What is torque as it applies to archery? As in, "You're torquing the bow."

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Torque
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 05:02:43 pm »
Not following through, the top limb jumps right or left after the shot.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 05:14:07 pm »
I thought it means gripping the bow so you force it in one direction instead of a loose grip allowing the bow to follow the forces when shot.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 02:30:59 am »
I'm with Pat  (SH) :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 06:07:27 am »
I agree with Pat, I was told many years ago to finesse a re curve and grip a long bow, I did that for years with my selfbows, but found for me a loose grip works much better, at least for me. I shoot much better with a light medium wrist grip on my bows. I know most don't but I also shoot much better with a locked elbow plus it gave me an extra inch of draw length.  JMO. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 07:51:00 am »
I think we are on the same page, what I mentioned is caused by too hard a grip.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 01:08:12 pm »
A good firm grip and bad wrist angle will twist the bow in your hand when you release the string.  That means as the arrow is traveling forwards, it is also being pushed sideways towards your bow arm.  That, in effect, exaggerates the paradox the arrow has to correct for. 

I was frustrated for ages with wrist slap, fiddling with brace height, trying to build bows more and more centershot.  Turns out I needed to take the advice of the 80's southern rock band, 38 Special....hold on loosely, and don't let go, if you cling too tightly to her, you gonna lose control.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 02:44:28 pm »
OK we all seem to be in agreement. What do you call it when the bow rocks back and forth. Same idea as torque but vertical.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 04:46:46 pm »
OK we all seem to be in agreement. What do you call it when the bow rocks back and forth. Same idea as torque but vertical.

If you watch competition shooters with the open hand and a leash around the wrist, you commonly see the bow rotate forward after the arrow leaves the bow. Even in the highest levels of competition! If they don't worry about it, I ain't gonna sit in the corner sucking my thumb either!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 04:55:59 pm »
Out of tiller!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 06:13:54 pm »
Two good points :D. I watched a bunch of Puujousi's slow-mo vids and the arrow is gone before the bow starts to wiggle.

Offline willie

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 07:40:04 pm »
Out of tiller!
but to a good advantage I suppose. so what kind of tiller makes it happen? and is it really "out of tiller" or a desirable tiller?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 09:56:31 pm »
Maybe out of time. One limb is recovering slower than the other. What else would make a bow rock back and forth, front to back when shot?

Offline willie

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 02:52:15 pm »
Out of time seems like a better description. those Olympic bows are have independent adjustments for "tiller" or reflex/deflex, which i suppose makes the limbs time different. they seem to set them up that way so that they rock.
I wonder what advantage is gained by having it uneven?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 04:17:52 pm »
If you aren't gripping your bow the top limb should roll forward after release, the top of the bow in heaver. Most of us don't notice it because we hold on to it. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good