Author Topic: splicing newbie questions  (Read 1790 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

splicing newbie questions
« on: February 02, 2018, 07:03:20 pm »
So just how tight a fit do you need to hold a splice? No light showing through at all?

Are thin shims to fill gaps really better than glue, assuming you're using Resorcinol?

If you boil or soak before joining do you wait until dry, then separate them and add glue?

My first attempt failed, but I'm not surprised cause the gaps were pretty bad. The one I'm doing now is better, but not perfect.  :-\ here's what it looks like...

the wood is yew and if the splice holds I was gonna remove sapwood and back w/ sinew
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

Re: splicing newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 07:58:19 pm »
Hold it up to the light and rasp away where it's still touching. You should only have to rasp on the outside surface(arrow). When you get it so that the light looks even you can steam or boil and clamp. Make sure you look at both sides of the bow when you're checking. Eric can get them so no light shows through. I haven't got there yet. The steaming will correct for a pretty big gap, especially on Yew. Resorcinol is gap filling epoxy isn't it?

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 08:03:37 pm »
It looks like you should remove wood roughly where the red lines are.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 09:37:06 pm »
You can steam those splices and clamp them together to cool and dry. When you unclamp they will have a tighter fit.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline kbear

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 11:36:10 pm »
Good to know...... got some billets myself seasoning upstairs. Not ready til next year, but when they're ready, I will be too!

Limbit

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 02:22:19 am »
Yes, just do what PatB said and steam them for 20 minutes and then clamp them together nice and tight. Leave them to dry for a few days with the clamps on and then glue it up. It will fit together perfectly. Even a bad cut can usually be remedied this way. If you are concerned about damaging the wood with clamps, put a piece of hardwood between the clamps and the billet.

Offline hoosierf

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 09:26:44 am »
I just learned a lot nice thread UPSTNY.  Thanks.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 05:59:34 pm »
I rasped where DC suggested, then boiled and clamped. I've actually got a really nice fit now. What the heck would I do without you guys? You're all the best! :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 06:34:39 pm »
Now find that piece of 1x2 I mentioned and practice some :D

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 06:40:43 pm »
Oh, and Yew works well for that because it seems to crush easily. Other woods not so much. With OS you can get the ends to move but down in the "V" it doesn't move much. Osage may be the same. It sure is a good feeling to get it to fit without steaming but that's just icing on the cake.