Author Topic: Archery symbols  (Read 4218 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Archery symbols
« on: January 08, 2018, 11:13:14 pm »
I’m wondering what some of the old archery symbols are or figures used for such. I’m still debating my first tattoo and am thinking and ancient archery symbols would be great for a first one and maybe only one. Any suggestions? You can either post the pic, or the name of it and I can look it up. I’d prefer a representative symbol as opposed to a bow and arrow picture. If there is such a thing

All help appreciated,
Kyle

Offline Zuma

Re: Archery symbols
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 11:42:03 pm »
Do you mean like a kid with an apple on his head? ??? ??? :NN :NN
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 12:21:45 am »
That would be awesome. I remember someone showing me a serpent belt buckle and saying it was somehow archery related. Something like that is what I’m thinking of. Where it’s aomething related to archery without necessarily being a bow and arrow directly. I haven’t been able to find it since he’s said something about it.

Kyle

Offline Coonst

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 05:12:08 am »
Are you looking for something like St.Sebastian? Or one of the Four Horsemen from the Apocalypse who is shown with bow and arrows a lot.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 07:33:19 am »
If you google cave drawings you'll get lots of figures like this

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JEB

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 07:45:57 am »
Don't do it. You get older you will wish they wasn't there. They turn into a one color blob and no-one will notice them anyway. Got mine in 68 when in the marines and wish I didn't do it.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 09:02:01 am »
John, the blacksmith from MoJam is the guy with the serpent belt buckle Kyle.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 12:33:25 pm »
Kyle,
I got to agree with JEB! They are expensive, and cost even more to get rid of!  A brass belt buckle with the cave drawing would be impressive, and probably get a lot of attention! Also, it won't fade over the years!  I can dig up the Irish ogham charaters, if you like!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Zuma

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 12:38:37 pm »
Jeb. My dad got an anchor one night in Singapore. lol  ???
He would never admit he might have been a little tipsy >:D
But I could see a cool  Errol Flynn/Robin Hood image.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 12:54:28 pm »
Ink can be addicting.  Think about it before you get one.  I have several tattoos and I would like to get some more.  My next one will be osage related  ;)  It seems strange when I see pictures of myself before I had them.  When I was 18 I took a senior trip to Florida.  The last day we were there I got up the courage to go get a tattoo.  Luckily the shop was closed that day.  I don't think my 18 year old self would have made a wise choice on what to get and where to put it.  I waited until my late 20's to get my first one and I'm glad I did.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 02:54:02 pm »
I've got a few tattoos that I got back in the early 1970's and never regretted it. One is the first tattoo a friend ever did on human skin.  They all have memories for me.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 08:37:54 pm »
John is who I was thinking of. I remember him telling me it stood for something archery related but I can’t remember what it was exactly. The Irish ogham characters would be neat to see. I may need to look into them some.
I’m not fully set in anything, but I’ve been wanting one. But I’ve still never came across anything that I felt I had to have. The expense and how permant it is, is why I haven’t done it yet. That’s why I’m trying to get ideas to see if there is anything that’ll fit what I have a vision for. I’m trying to find the match of look and meaning.

Kyle

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 06:29:13 am »
Just be sure to go to the cheapest guy you can find, and ask about the half priced used needles... ;)

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 06:39:49 pm »
Kyle,
Here's the Irish ogham for bow hunter.  The likely pronunciation is " shale gar bo a".  It can be written either way as well as vertical from the bottom https://i.imgur.com/bmCvn8P_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium.
It is a bit longer than I thought, the subject is first , the the adjective.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 06:36:50 am »
Don't do it. You get older you will wish they wasn't there. They turn into a one color blob and no-one will notice them anyway.

+1