Author Topic: How to temper a sinew backed bow?  (Read 920 times)

Offline Ryan Jacob

How to temper a sinew backed bow?
« on: January 09, 2018, 08:26:08 am »
So since I’m using tamarind which is a very tension strong wood, how would I temper it if I were to sinew back? Normally I do 5, 30 minute sessions which seems to have worked well on guava. The thing is I use oil to get a deeper heat treat and prevent scorching. However, oil and hide glue seem to hate each other and after backing it, I’d have to retiller which would ruin my heat treat. That is unless sinew backed bows are not supposed to be heat treated ??? Then again, at two inches wide, I may not need to.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How to temper a sinew backed bow?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 09:41:47 am »
You can temper a sinew backed bow but you have to do it before the sinew is added. Also, for good tempering you don't want to use oil. Temper the belly until it is chocolate brown.
 Even if you add oil you can clean the surface by scrubbing it with Dawn dish detergent and warm water then rinse with boiling water. Do this just before you are ready to add the sinew. The wet wood surface will accept the hide glue better.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC