Author Topic: Newest arrow and a slight experiment  (Read 3109 times)

Offline Nidhoggr

Newest arrow and a slight experiment
« on: January 09, 2018, 10:52:31 am »
So i have made several new arrows and decided to take a stab at a bit of an experiment.  I made a 5/16" poplar arrow at 29".  The experiment lies in the placement of the feathers. I gave them a VERY helical look to see how it would fly.  The answer is: Pretty damn straight, and really fast.  I fire these out of my 55 @ 28" recurve (i draw 27" on it so it's more like 52.5 lbs) and by my math they are hitting between 160 - 180fps I believe.  They go exactly where I want them to and the field points on them will punch through a jug of kitty litter filled with water without even moving the jug.  So there is obviously not a whole lot of kinetic force being transferred but the penetration and speed are killer.

The stain on the shaft is a spray on combination wood stain and sealant.  You'll notice the yellow thread on the shaft up through the fletching.  I don't currently have a fletching jig so I glue the tips of the feathers down where I want them then wrap them all the way up and then glue the strings and the sides of the fletching down and cover both string wraps in glue as well to keep them from unraveling.  This also gives the string a cool almost sinew look.

The field points are slip on 5/16" points, same as the nocks.  Field points are held on with a melt glue, nocks are glued on with fletching glue as a lighter will melt the nock and the glue should I ever need to replace it.  The feathers are 4" shield cut.

The only downside to this arrow I made is it is sort of loud.  Given the speed of it and that it is shield cut and in a helical fashion there's a very audible whistley "whoosh" like a suppressed hand gun in a james bond flick lol.

Offline Nidhoggr

Re: Newest arrow and a slight experiment
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 11:14:51 am »
Forgot to mention:  The arrow is 482 grains so falls right around 8.5gpp.

So based on my estimated FPS I sit somewhere between 28 foot pounds and 36 foot pounds if kinetic energy.  Definitely enough with a razor sharp broadhead to drop a white tail on a vital hit. 

Offline willie

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 03:00:34 pm »
there's a very audible whistley "whoosh" like a suppressed hand gun in a james bond flick
louder than expected? Have you matched the "wing" with the direction of the helix?

Offline Nidhoggr

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 04:35:27 pm »
I have no frame of reference for "is this louder than it should be" as i have never used shield cut until now.  It's curving the way it naturally wants to I just exaggerated it slightly.  It seems after firing it about 8 times that died down so it may have been some glue got on the feathers and made them stiff.  That could cause the whistling.

Offline TSA

• www.trueshaftarchery.com
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 09:04:23 pm »
the more helical you put in, the louder they will be, is what i have seen.
 it will also slow the arrows slightly- with the added resistance

arrow looks awesome !! :)

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 02:37:51 pm »
Mid,
Is the shaft a shoot or a dowel?  Either way, nice arrow!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Nidhoggr

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 10:53:27 am »
Mid,
Is the shaft a shoot or a dowel?  Either way, nice arrow!
Hawkdancer

Sorry for delay! It's a dowel.