Author Topic: antler overlay glue  (Read 1341 times)

Offline smoke

antler overlay glue
« on: January 09, 2018, 10:57:39 am »
Folks, yet another glue question: what would you recommend for antler tip overlays on osage?  Thanks!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: antler overlay glue
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 11:06:19 am »
Loctite Professional, spend the money. Fill the back side of the antler with glue until it wont accept anymore. Let it cure over night, sand it smooth and glue it on the bow with the same glue.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 11:17:37 am »
Ive been using EA40 epoxy with 2:1 ratio mix, no issues yet so long as i wait the full 24 hours for it to cure, plus i add a little heat for about an hour as well.  I have been meaning to try PD's superglue method.  Just hard to branch away from what i know i guess.  Seems to me that that the advantage of superglue would be cost.  Where as epoxy gap fills so you dont have to have such a perfect mating surface prepped.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 11:22:57 am »
I've used gel and thin super glue, TBII and TBIII and 2ton epoxy, all with good results. If you use super glue saturate the pithy area first with super glue then sand it flat and glue it down. For all of these glues, be sure the glue surfaces are well matched.
 I like to use rubber bands as clamps to wrap the overlays on the tips.
 Also pre-shape the overlays, especially where they come back to the limbs. Otherwise, once glued on it's hard to get a good transition without going into the tips.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline smoke

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 12:01:47 pm »
Thanks guys - this is like having an army of yodas!