Author Topic: Is this one a goner?  (Read 4130 times)

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
Is this one a goner?
« on: January 10, 2018, 09:27:15 am »
Hey, guys,

I've been working on this boo-backed osage bow, and got it to about 21" when the belly went Bang!  The boo is still intact. 

I'm pretty sure it's not salvageable, but maybe somebody has a cure.  I tried superglue and a clamp, but it popped again when I stressed it.  Would a binding be worth a try?  Or anything else?
Thanks,

...Tom

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 09:42:48 am by Stickhead »

Offline Parnell

Re: Is this one a goner?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 09:45:30 am »
That's a bummer...I wouldn't ever trust it.
1’—>1’

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 09:47:52 am »
Was there a flaw in the Osage?

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 09:48:23 am »
I'd say its gone too.  I guess you could add glue down into the crack then bind it with sinew of strong thread set in glue. I've seen fixes like this survive but you could be wasting your time.
 What glue did you use for the backing?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 09:53:04 am »
This is a fine example of why I argue with people that say belly grain doesn't matter on lam bows. It sure does and that pic proves it. Sorry about the bow, Tom.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 10:02:26 am »
Yeah, this was a board with fairly straight grain, but the grain does swirl a bit in the vicinity of the break.  I suppose it could be considered a belly ring violation.  (Not the piercing kind)
I think I'll throw in the towel on this one and try again.

Offline Jan de Bogenman

• Zelf Bogen Maken
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 10:24:49 am »
To bad!! If the bamboo is in tact, I think it is worth to try repairing it??  To take out the bad spot and glue in a new peace of wood?
And its hard to judge from the pics, and probably you know all this, but if the bamboo is too thick, it is possible to have some good results by scraping from the bamboo back during tillering.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 10:38:09 am by Jan de Bogenman »

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 10:43:01 am »
It boils down to me as an issue of is it worth the time?  Also, if it were to be a lightweight kids bow or give it away...would I put it in their  hands with confidence? 

I've learned to enjoy burning failed bows.  I had a bunch of junked bows sitting around as examples for awhile.  They just aggravated me to look at.
1’—>1’

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 10:45:58 am »
You could have a try just for the fun of it.
Just for the fun of it, something that was being discussed here a while back.
Saw across the belly dead square and take out the damaged section right down to the boo. Let in another section of Osage, no fancy joints, just a decent glue and theoretically it should be fine as it's in compression.
I'm not suggesting keep it as a regular shooter, but as a demo' bow to show if it can be done.
We'll all watch from a safe distance >:D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 10:48:52 am »
This is a fine example of why I argue with people that say belly grain doesn't matter on lam bows. It sure does and that pic proves it. Sorry about the bow, Tom.

I agree wholeheartedly. After a couple failures you start to get what is doable, and what isn't.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 11:25:18 am »
I don't have the experience to comment on fixing it but I have a question. If this happens to me can you run it through the band saw or in some way save the bamboo backing or is it gone with the bow? Maybe salvage smaller pieces of the Osage for riser high lights and such? I'm still in the red oak stage myself but will work up to boo and Osage however its only available online in my area and its not cheap after shipping.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 12:03:39 pm »
  That bow looks to narrow at that spot anyway. I would start over with more reasonable dimensions.

Offline Yard Dog

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 05:50:29 pm »
Dang, that sucks !!!

Offline kbear

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 06:19:05 pm »
Badger's right. That's a lotta boo for that little belly........

Offline NonBacked

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 06:20:36 pm »
Sorry for your bad luck. It's definitely a lesson-learned experience! You might be able to salvage the undamaged limb and the handle for another project; like a spliced handle or a two-piece bow.