Author Topic: juniper knot  (Read 1403 times)

Offline trail walker

juniper knot
« on: January 10, 2018, 09:54:35 am »
so i wanted to practice sinew backing a shorter bow before i tried it on my longer stave. The one i am working on is like 37 inches long and more of a pyramid type bow design. the bow is about an inch and a half wide ware the knot is. would it be OK to go ahead with backing it or should i narrow it to an inch wide bow and work it around the knot?

Offline trail walker

Re: juniper knot
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 09:56:19 am »
also there is a knot that is like laying on the belly of the bow.  it is i did not de-crown above it to try to give it support. it come out at a diagonal about a quarter of the way out of the belly the bow. thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 10:04:02 am by trail walker »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 12:20:13 pm »
Does the knot just go inside the stave or is there an exit also. Knots on the edge and especially going into the stave makes for a touchy situation. Just from what I can see I wouldn't waste the time sinew backing it. If I could look it over personally I might think different. Also, I'm not familiar with working with juniper.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline trail walker

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 04:56:22 pm »
it exits also

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 10:51:56 pm »
I'd reduce it to 1" wide if that removes the knot. with a good sinew backing 1" wide juniper will make a good bow.

Offline trail walker

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 09:40:43 am »
OK i'll try reducing it thanks guys!