Author Topic: First Successful Build  (Read 3111 times)

Offline kbear

Re: First Successful Build
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 06:00:04 pm »
You could indeed improve the tiller a little, at the cost of poundage of-course. What does it pull now after your corrections? I say, take it to the shoot as is, and be proud of what you have made.

Plenty more where that one came from, and they will only get better!

Offline AniKituahBowyer

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 06:05:01 pm »
Thanks!

Yeah, all the comments have been super helpful. In my day job, I'm a health disparities researcher in Indian Country, so I'm pretty used to constructive criticism and not too thin-skinned  :D

Feedback and critique are the only ways to improve!

To answer an earlier question, yes, I saw and shot some beautiful handmade bows in Talequah. It was awesome knowing that all those folks had made the bows they were shooting that day. When making 100 yard shots with a handmade bow of osage orange, and hitting a 4X4 target, it's pretty inspiring. They were what inspired me to try my hand at it.

I feel pretty lucky that it only took me 3 times to make one that didn't break right away! Especially since I tried some pretty tricky woods for my first attempts. The osage is much more forgiving, and easier to work with hand tools.  ;)

Offline AniKituahBowyer

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2018, 06:10:15 pm »
Thanks kbear!

It's currently drying from the generous coating of titebond III I am putting over the crow feathers. I'll test the draw weight again when that process is finished, as I expect it to act a little like a backing (not a ton, but some change, I suspect). Before the correction and decoration party, it was pulling #45 @28". I'm hoping it'll be around the same after all this is said and done. I didn't have to remove a ton of wood to correct the tillering, so we'll see. I do want it to be legal to hunt with, and in WA state, that's at least #40 @28.

Offline willie

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 07:19:27 pm »
yes, I saw and shot some beautiful handmade bows in Talequah.

If you make it back there next year, hope you can treat us to some pictures. :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2018, 08:38:43 pm »
There are worse things to become addicted with.  Welcome to the Lodge, brother! Plenty of room for you, bring friends!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2018, 08:45:59 pm »
I think you have made awesome progress on this bow. If you are concerned about too much reduction in draw weight to be legal by taking off more on the outer limbs then leave it as is and keep monitoring the bow for any cracks. I do that as a routine with all my bows as well.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2018, 06:08:16 am »
Looks considerably better AKB. Glad to hear you used the advice. It will help you in the future with your next bows. They all teach you something and their all just a bit different. I'm hoping you start another soon.
Once again welcome to Pa
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline AniKituahBowyer

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2018, 12:23:59 pm »
Thanks, guys! I really like it, actually. I'll post some pics of the finished product when I complete the detailing.

Already cruising ebay for the next stave... Any other sources of good staves you all use?

Offline willie

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2018, 02:44:54 pm »
Any other sources of good staves you all use?

many bowyers like to harvest their own, in order to have hands on quality control from tree > bow.

you might also check out the trading post section or some of the PA magazine advertisers before you bid with just anyone on ebay.