Author Topic: Osage Stave to be worked into bow  (Read 2481 times)

Offline apg

Osage Stave to be worked into bow
« on: January 10, 2018, 02:34:42 pm »
Hi everyone,
Just received an Osage Stave from Pine Hollow Longbows. It's got a couple of funny weird lumpy bits on one end, and a long bend down the other side, so it's going to be a funny looking bow, I think. I'll post updates here, but does anyone have first impressions on whether or not this should make a good functioning bow?
Ash

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Osage Stave to be worked into bow
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 02:50:31 pm »
That should make a fine bow.  Osage staves can have humps and bumps like that.  Follow the growth rings and grain lines and you will be fine.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline kbear

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 03:11:31 pm »
I should be so lucky.......

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 03:56:44 pm »
Be careful when removing the bark and sapwood(be sure to seal) not to violate and knots or pins and that will make a very nice bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 04:22:22 pm »
   Some might even say two bows.

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 04:50:50 pm »
No osage expert here, but this looks like a fine stave to me. Good luck with it!

Offline Hamish

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 05:24:54 pm »
Hey Ash, A nice bit of mild character. Sought after by most bowyers and will make a pretty bow, that functions as well as the bowyers current skill level. Capable of excellent performance.

If you feel a little intimidated and are a beginner(?)you might need to get a little confidence with a dead flat stave, and save this one for later. Nevertheless it should produce a nice bow even for a beginner. Personally I would build my experience first as you don't know when you will come across another similarly interesting stave. They are out there but you don't want to be kicking yourself later, when you are more confident with tillering, wishing you had waited and could have done a better job.

Offline Yard Dog

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 05:41:16 pm »
Take your time and it will make an awesome bow !!! Let the wood determine what it is....... Good luck and have fun !!!!

Offline k-hat

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 08:14:28 pm »
   Some might even say two bows.

+1 Pat.  Especially if you paid for it, get a 2fer!!  I'd belly split that baby and make a couple simple bendy bows as a noob.

Do you have a draw knife??

Offline apg

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 08:58:32 pm »
I have tools to work it, but I’ll work with someone up in Vermont- my filleting is soooo off so I admit I need help.

I’ll be posting updates as I go and thank you all for solid reenforcement and advice.

Ash

Offline stickbowbeard

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 07:32:21 am »
That's a beautiful stave!  I definitely think you could get two bows from that stave as well, by splitting the belly off. If you want to try that, definitely be careful when splitting the belly off, and maybe even use a bandsaw or table say to do it.  You will be chasing a growth ring later anyway, so it won't matter if it follows the grain.  I'm psyched for you!  You're going to make a gorgeous bow with that!

Offline apg

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 06:37:09 pm »
Hi guys!

I spent a few days in Vermont with the Roots School - which was amazing, because the stave was twisty and turny, so I'm glad I had guidance. I've worked it into a 50 lb @ 28" bow, and I'm working on sealing it with Tung Oil now and will back it later. I wanted to post some photos to say thanks for your help and this is where I'm at.

Of course, I'll post some photos of the finished thing!
Ash

Offline apg

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 06:37:50 pm »
Four more photos!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 07:43:29 pm »
Looks like a interesting stave.  Congratulations on your bow. It certainly is a thrill to shoot your first bow. We like to see profiles of unbraced, braced and full draw. I'm glad you enjoyed the Roots school. I've seen some of their videos before.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 08:55:50 pm »
     That was one heck of a character stave Pine Hollow sent you...Nice work
                                                                                                                      Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;