Author Topic: What a difference this wonderful family makes  (Read 7983 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: What a difference this wonderful family makes
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2018, 06:48:20 am »
My wife and I went to Mojam 2003. I had a great time and met a lot of good people.

It was a super long drive for us from NH.

Anyway, this forum is fantastic. I wish it was a round when I started learning how to make bows. It would have been easier for me.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2018, 09:27:50 am »
I believe I remember Cal diligently working on his bow in the pavilion at Marshall.  I can't for sure remember who was helping him but if im right he is a PA family member as well. 
Stories like this is the reason I try so hard to help and teach newcomers at these events.  I almost never get any of my project done but I can have all of the shop time I need at home.  Some people that come to the events only get to work on their projects for just a few days a year at what ever event they can make it to. 
I'm really glad that you and your son has found a common bond in primitive archery!

As far as MOJAM goes,  its the only place to be in the middle of July! It is normally very hot weather but we all make sure everyone is having a good time and drinking plenty of water and staying as cool as possible. 
I hope you all can make it this year! If you do, look me up,  my name is Patrick and I'll be one of the big guys there with a gotee and a shaved head.  Im always in the pavilion and im the one with the tillering tree hooked to the hitch on my truck parked at the pavilion.  Get with me and I will help you all I can.  Hope to see you there!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline cjkopec

• Chasing Heartwood
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 09:56:53 am »
bjrogg I do remember you. We were actually just talking about you the other day. Cahl was talking about your mink and that fox with the ratty old ear that I loved so much. I look forward to seeing you and your wife again next year.

lebhuntfish I remember you too. Paul was the one helping Cahl out. There were others also I believe he was using Alien's form for the heating and borrowing some rasps for another gentleman. Everyone was so helpful and welcoming. I wish we could have stayed the entire weekend there. But I had volunteered us to help in the Mich Longbow Assn booth at the Charlton Park Days. Next year we will be the first one's there and the last to leave ;)

I'll need to find out if my trailer will get into MoJam  otherwise we will tent it. I'm looking for a smaller trailer for such events but those tiny ones are going for an arm and a leg lately. So I just haul the beast when I know it will fit.

Cahl is heading over to a friends house today to work on an osage stave. I'm excited to see him start another bow.

Cahl bought an osage bow from a guy at Marshall who was from MO I believe. He was set up across from the pavillion near that little stream. He has not put that bow down and will not shoot his lam bow now. He says he's going all primitive. Who knew a little campfire chat with Guy would lead to such an adventure. We are so grateful.
Coby Kopec proud mom of Cahl  and
Founder of Chasing Heartwood

Enjoy the little things in life,
because one day you will look back,
and realize they were big things.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 09:42:50 pm »
Yep,  I thought it was Paul,  he is a great guy. 
The guy you got the bow from at Marshall will be at mojam as well.  He is there every year. 
As far as your trailer goes,  trust me,  it will fit.  As long as there is still room for it when you get there.  Camp fills up fast,  but there was some huge trailers there last year.  Hope to see you there!

Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline cjkopec

• Chasing Heartwood
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 09:21:31 am »
Thanks Patrick. That's good to know. That trailer can be a tank to pull around but it's nice to have. It's actually a 4 horse trailer with a living quarters. We use the back to haul all the gear when we aren't hauling the horses but it can get tight fitting in some places.

I have written it in ink on my calendar so fingers crossed we will be there.

He started a new bow yesterday with some osage. It's so exciting to watch. Now I need to get in on some of the fun too ;)

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2018, 11:08:40 am »
That sounds great! Im glad he is so motivated with his bow building!
I garonte that if you make it to mojam that we can get you a great start on a bow or maybe even a shooting bow before you leave.  That all depends on how hard you are willing to work on it.  I personally can't wait for mojam and I hope to see you and your son there as well. 

By the way,  if he needs any help with his bow building just make a post in the bow section here on PA. Make sure to post pictures and ask questions. The best Bowyer's in the world are here on this site. Take care!

Patrick

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2018, 03:43:53 pm »
I'm glad to see he continues to gain interest in it.  I'm sure he's starting to outgrow that hornbeam bow. Tell him to bring his tools and by the end of Marshall I'm sure he'll have another one ready to go.  like Patrick said if he's got any questions help him post pictures here and people will gladly give assistance/ never seems to be a shortage of opinions around here........

Offline cjkopec

• Chasing Heartwood
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2018, 03:59:22 pm »
Thanks Paul. He just started working on some Osage yesterday and he has a black locust stave in the garage too. I can not thank you enough for all of the time you spent with him at Marshall. We look forward to seeing you there again.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2018, 07:36:49 pm »
Great stuff !
Hey Coby in the pic you posted the fellow behind Cahl and Pauly is Karl he is also a blacksmith
He makes some mity fine arrow heads put him on your list of folks to talk to , he camps with the rest of the Canadian War bow Society out by the parking lot
see y'all at Marshall
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2018, 07:55:17 pm »
Didn't know he was a blacksmith guy. The older fella that's always with him from the war bows Jerry I think? Is he his dad? I thought i heard him say that but I might have misunderstood him.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline cjkopec

• Chasing Heartwood
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2018, 08:13:19 pm »
Thanks Guy! I値l do that.

When we get over to England I知. Going to take the smithing class for arrow heads too. 

When I went to farrier school we made most all of our tools minus the nippers. Then we made shoes for days and days. I was a little upset because I wanted to get under the horses faster than we did but I was glad later in life to have those skills. Especially those handmade shoes. They were big dollar makers.  I later found out that we did that because most of the pack stations we were supposed to shoe at still had their horses loose on the range due to the extended winter they were having that year. I guess it all worked out in the end.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2018, 03:22:37 pm »
Great Story and for sure a great bunch of guys. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2018, 08:14:31 pm »
What a great story! I cant wait to see ylu all again this yewar. I will hopefully be at both marshalls this year. Ill be the guy with the beard. Lol.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2018, 08:29:03 pm »
Didn't know he was a blacksmith guy. The older fella that's always with him from the war bows Jerry I think? Is he his dad? I thought i heard him say that but I might have misunderstood him.
Bjrogg
Not Karl's Dad but Jerry's son is the the photographer that walks around with a camera
 Colby Karl is a whole lot closer to you and is good at it
DVS hope you make it up be good to have you here again
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline cjkopec

• Chasing Heartwood
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2018, 08:43:31 pm »
Dvshunter I知 sure the beard will make it easier for me to pick you out in the crowd. Lol.

Guy I値l have to get my forge and anvil out in the spring.  That Cliff Carroll anvil is good to get me started back up. But I値l need an upgrade if I get serious about it. I used to do the demos over at the flywheelers museum but it痴 been a few years since I致e stood at the forge.

I知 so happy that archery has relit that fire, so to speak 😉