Author Topic: What a difference this wonderful family makes  (Read 7842 times)

Offline Buckeye Guy

What a difference this wonderful family makes
« on: January 11, 2018, 05:55:27 pm »
Thank you family and this time specifically the gang at the Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 07:34:30 pm by Buckeye Guy »
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: What a difference this wonderful family makes
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 05:56:49 pm »
I will let the gang chime in as they like here
They are all awesome
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline cjkopec

• Chasing Heartwood
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 07:30:32 pm »
Guy asked me if I would copy and past a post that I had made on FaceBook here since the link wasn't working.

Here is a copy paste:
I was talking with someone last night at traditional league about a competition that I had entered to win a beautiful one of a kind bow last December. It was a pretty simple task. Post a picture/story of your greatest memory with bow in hand. The Admin for the group would then go over the posts and choose a winner and give this beautiful bow to that person. Let me tell you I didn't envy him one bit for having to pick only one story because they were all awesome. I know this is a super long post but I think it might explain a little more about why I am helping my son chase his dream and give you a chance to get to know us a little better.

The first photo is the photo I entered and the rest are the GORGEOUS bow the winner was given. Donated by Stephen Cowan of Australia

The bow might not be in my hand but it might as well had been. This is the first arrow shot from the first bow my son made. Early in 2017 my son, Cahl, showed interest in learning traditional archery. I had shot a little when I was younger and had hoped to pick the hobby up again and had bought a traditional bow about a year prior but hadn’t shot it. I was worried about not having proper guidance and creating bad habits without knowing so the bow just sat there. But when Cahl came to me with his interest in learning, I was all about it. He was 12 at the time and pretty much had his nose stuck in the iPad playing some video game. And, like many other pre-teen boys, he acted as if mom didn’t know a whole lot. He wasn’t rude or anything like that, just well, full of sighs and if I didn’t hear at least 10 “humfs” or “nothin’s” out of him a day it was a miracle. Shortly after his interest came about I took him to the Traditional Bowhunters Expo in Kalamazoo and I bought him his first longbow. We joined a traditional league and began to learn all we could soak in. Our first “get together” was in April with the Michigan Longbow Association and we were hooked. We met a very wonderful man there named Guy who told us about a Primitive only event that might interest us. This photo was taken in May at that Primitive Archery event in Marshall, MI. We arrived there on a Thursday afternoon and by Friday night he had made this bow and shot this first arrow. A very nice gentleman there spent the entire evening Thursday and most of Friday guiding him thru the process. I was so proud as I saw him put so much time, effort, passion and heart into his work. We took this passion and ran with it. We spent the entire summer attending shoots and practicing. And finally, Mom knows something. He’s asking about my days working packing mules and guiding. He’s asking about tanning hides and building shelters and cooking on campfires. All things outdoors and nature are now of interest and have become a lifestyle for us. We have found a common ground that has built a world to be explored....archery. I know it’s not me in that picture but it might as well be because it’s my heart. Plus, I’m usually the one with the camera. Thank you for taking the time to read this and all of the other posts here. And now the specs on that first bow. 27# @26in and is from ironwood It hasn’t even been a year since we first picked up our bows and all of this has happened. I can not wait to experience the next year
Coby Kopec proud mom of Cahl  and
Founder of Chasing Heartwood

Enjoy the little things in life,
because one day you will look back,
and realize they were big things.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 08:23:58 am »
Great picture and an even better story.  :OK

Offline cjkopec

• Chasing Heartwood
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 09:44:42 am »
Thanks PaulN/KS. He has really taken this and ran with it. Our summer is filling up quickly and he's still looking for more places to go. And the nice thing is that he doesn't want to go to an event to just shoot. He really wants to learn the how and why or it all. We made him a shave horse this summer and he has been working with scraps his dad bring home from the job site. Once a month in our town there is a huge antique market and he has bought spoke shaves, draw knives, and all sorts of goodies there. We have a black locust stave in the barn that was given to him that we are hoping to get some local guidance on. We can not wait to go back to Marshall again. I really want to try my hand at making a bow for myself. It's hard to believe a year ago we knew no one in the traditional or primitive archery world and now I see friendly faces everywhere we go.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 12:43:49 pm »
Nice story!  Another youth "saved" by the bow, and it is amazing how much Mom can learn in a year!  Good luck with your bow build and post pictures.  As you found at Marshall, MI, these folks are really a big family, and a wealth of knowledge.  Maybe some kidding along with it!   We may try to get to the "other" Marshall(MO in July?  I hope your son continues to pursue this addiction, it is actually healthy!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 01:35:39 pm »
Glad to hear/read of both your enthusiasm for archery and bow building.  It sounds like you are off to a good start and, being close to the good folks at Marshall,Mi., will be a plus for ya'll.   :OK
There is another Marshall in Missouri that is the location of MOJAM. It's in July, just in case you still have room for some more bow building over the Summer...  :)

Offline cjkopec

• Chasing Heartwood
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 02:24:44 pm »
We may try to get to the "other" Marshall(MO in July? 

Is that MoJam? I saw a post about that and was going to look into it more for the dates? I would love to know more.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 03:06:19 pm »
I was looking at the photo again and noticed that your son wasn't wearing an arm guard. If he hasn't gotten one yet I'd highly recommend it.

Offline cjkopec

• Chasing Heartwood
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 03:30:29 pm »
I was looking at the photo again and noticed that your son wasn't wearing an arm guard. If he hasn't gotten one yet I'd highly recommend it.

He does. When this was taken our tent was set up quite a ways from where he was building his bow in the opposite direction from the practice target so he went without this time. Now he has a collection of them. His favorite is one from Art Vincent. I believe his shop is called Cedar Ridge Leather. He saw Art at his booth at the Compton Traditional Bowhunter's Shoot in Berrien Springs, MI and wasn't leaving without one of his All Season Arm Guards. I may have purchased a Western Shooter quiver from him also, but I am pleading the 5th about the purchase.  ;) I'm a sucker for some beautiful leather work.

I looked up MoJam. It made me laugh a little. Both Cahl and I will be in Kansas City, MO the end of March vending at a Yarn and Wool Show. It doesn't look like Marshall is very far from there. If it fits into our schedule we will definitely go.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 03:39:13 pm by cjkopec »

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 04:01:52 pm »
Yep, KCMO is just a ways west of where MOJAM is held. It's the 20th annual this year so we'll hopefully have good, (read "cool") weather. Hope you guys can make it.

Offline cjkopec

• Chasing Heartwood
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 04:17:29 pm »
I'll keep my eyes open for the dates.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 09:38:27 pm »
MOJAM usually falls on the third weekend in July. It runs Thursday through Saturday and we then all drag ourselves home Sunday.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 12:14:33 am »
Put in an order for about six days of cool, with no mosquitos.  Got to talk to the lady , it is a 2 day haul for us, but would like to meet some of the folks on the site.  Btw, anyone heard from Gun Doc lately?
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 06:37:36 am »
Coby so glad to hear how hard the bow bug bit you and  Cahl. My wife and I remember you both. I'm terrible with names but pretty good with faces. I remember Cahl's face and how it evolved as the days at Marshall passed. I could see the confidence and relaxed look on it as he began to feel a part of this truly fascinating family. It was a joy to watch and it will be great to see you both again. In case your wondering who Bjrogg is. I'm the short grey haired guy that had the fox and mink hides. My wife shot her bow for the first time at Marshall and we watched Cahl shoot there to. Good Lord willing we'll be shooting along side you both again this year. This will be our third year and we won't miss any baring major unseen circumstances.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise