Author Topic: MoJam?  (Read 146476 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: MoJam?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 03:30:07 pm »
All this talk of White Woods/Osage testing/challenge/quest has persuaded me to get out a nice hickory bow blank Larry aka Caveman IL some time back and get to rasping. Perhaps I''l be able to coax a shooter out of it. rasp/rasp....

:OK !!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 03:51:55 pm »
Believe it or not Paul, there were a set of rules that were followed.  ;)  I had to go back and reread the "turtle bow" chapter in TBB4 to remember how they went.  I think some of the rules may need to be changed a bit to get more accurate, and fair results.

Ah, yes, those rules, for the "battle of the bow woods".  :BB
Good rules those.  :OK
Carry on...  ;)

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 10:51:48 pm »
Scrape, scrape, bend, bend, tiller, repeat - maybe the hickory stave I got from Kyle will be a real bow by then!  And it ain't too darn hot!  Don't think I can work fast enough for a scratch bow challenge!  Maybe an old slow first bow challenge!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Badger

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2018, 08:25:28 am »
I hope Badger will chime in. Bob said he was the one that wrote out the rulles for the first mojam.  I would love to see how much 20 years has change wooden bows by using the same set of rulles.

Patrick

Tim Baker I believe was the primary rule writer for the first event. Several other involved also.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2018, 10:36:11 am »
What facilities are available for Mundane things like campers, etc?  Registration and Camping fees?  I haven't been there before!  Thanks,
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2018, 08:23:24 pm »
Great thing about mojam is no reg/camp $$$ fees.
Tough thing about mojam is there's limited electricity. MoJam organizers and city of Marshal are gonna need to address this.
Be there by Wed.
Look forward to meeting you.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2018, 12:04:13 am »
Got to get the tin tipi rigged up to haul the generator, and make the muffler box!  I think CJKopec is also bringing a horse tin tipi, if she and Cody can make!  Still learning all the tricks of our rig!  Like how to pull out the canopy!  May just bring the pop-up shade.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline mobow

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2018, 04:22:37 pm »
This is what Steve has written to post and ask for recommendations.  It will be great.

1st annual Mojam Broadhead Flight Shoot

In keeping with the spirit of Mojam we have decided to organize a flight shoot that will hopefully become an annual event and a tradition at many of the other primitive venues happening around the country. The winner of this event will be declared the official Primitive Broadhead World Champion.

We will have 2 classes, laminated wood bows and self bows. All bows will shoot at 10 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight so there will be no weight classes.

The longest arrows allowed will be 28” from the bottom of the nock to the back of the broadhead.
All arrows must have at least 3each 4” fletches minimum 1/2” high. The broadhead must be no shorter than 1 1/4” and must not fit through a 7/8” id ring.

All bows and arrows must be registered, inspected and weighed and the arrows must be numbered.
There will be a 10 grain tolerance on minimum arrow weights no limits on maximum arrow weights.
We will have no restriction on string materials for the bows. No elevated rests allowed on bows.

The field will be laid out using 100 yard contractors tapes down each side of the field with stakes placed at 5 yard increments past the 150 marker out to 250 yards. The field will be 50 yards wide if space allows.

In keeping with the spirit of Mojam we also hope to collect important data here and award certificates for various accomplishments. At the registration desk your bow will be weighed and inspected. The information gathered will be transferred to a spreadsheet for future comparisons.
Example: John Smith 50# osage , D/R design, 2” reflex, 20 oz, 64” NN, 178 yards.

World record status will only be given to one bow with no regard to class but certicicates or trophies if available will be awarded for many accomplishments in many classes. Such as longest recurve, straight bow, English long bow, etc. I also favor certificates for any bows reaching 200, 190 and 180 yards.

The field will be open all day for qualifying and practice and data gathering. This will be less formal and broadheads will not be required. But bows and arrows will still be weighed and measured.

The official shooting line will be opened up for 2 hours each day of the shoot, the last day it will be in the morning. This will be for our Jamboree Flight Organization so rules we be carefully adhered to.

I will recommend a .50 cent charge per arrow shot with a 3 arrow minimum. At the official shoot it will be a 6 arrow max round with each bow, No limit on how many bows can be shot. Some of the money will go toward putting together the needed supplies for the flight station and anything in excess would go back to Mojam.

Hopefully at this Mojam we can train several others to officiate flight shoots at other venues where space allows and put together a flight station with scales, forms and equipment that can be shipped anywhere in the country as needed. We will be looking for volunteers and will also possibly be needing arrows of various weights so if you can bring a few extra to loan to the shoot it would be great.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2018, 11:40:25 pm »
I’m planning to be there from Wednesday through Sunday. If you all would like I can bring my range finder and chronograph along. The range finder is a sig Sauer kilo 2000, so a bit overkill but very accurate. The chronograph is a Caldwell g2. I may bring them anyway even if they don’t get used.

One thing that I was thinking that would be fun to do is along the lines of how the show ‘Forged in fire’
is done. I think along the lines of give a bow style to create and in a draw weight range. Giving time limits to each part of the build.for the stages, I’m thinking. 1- Hunt down and acquire/buy a stave from a vender or grab one from your stash you brought that would be suitable. (Whoever hasn’t obtained a stave by the one limit is out) 2- get the stave roughed out and tillered. (After the time limit they will be inspected for design in the proper style and safety). 3- last step is to finish the bow and tweak the tiller if need be, essentially just getting the handle and tips shaped out, everything to make it shoot well and look as good as the time limit allows. Then they are shot and tested to see whoes is fastest and most comfortable to shoot as the coarse winning criteria. And as bows are to similar you get into more fine criteria to choose the winner.
The hard part would be, what’s the prize? And who are the judges? And what time frames would we go with?
I think it would be fun to do. And might be worth the effort of deciding this stuff if anyone else feels it would be worth doing. I think it could be set up to be done in a day. Something along the lines of: 45 min to pick a stave, 4 hours to go from stave to tillered, and 2 hours for tweaking tiller and finishing.
Just like on the show, your not expected to make a show peice or a perforce tiller. Just meet the criteria and shoot. But the better you do the more likely to win.

What do you all think? Worth the time or no?

Kyle

Offline JonW

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2018, 09:16:32 am »
Kyle I like the idea but you have an unfair advantage. You are the energizer bunny. You keep going and going. Us old guys CANNOT keep up with you.  (lol)

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2018, 09:36:47 am »
Kyle I like the idea but you have an unfair advantage. You are the energizer bunny. You keep going and going. Us old guys CANNOT keep up with you.  (lol)
Yeah, what Jon said...  :OK
I'm too old for that ..."stuff".  ;)

Offline gifford

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2018, 06:29:56 pm »
Kyle - another of the geezers chiming in. Don't think I'll be able to keep up, but it's a great idea. It is kinda like the hatchet bow contest of years gone by.

Offline Badger

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2018, 08:03:43 pm »
   I think it is a cool idea but I would skip the stages. Just give until say 4 pm to get out the best bow they can. If they happen to start late the 4pm is still the time limit.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2018, 12:22:03 am »
I will bring my Chrono and range finder(Nikon) - assuming I can find the range!  Still need directions off I-70!  What other happenings are going on?  Pot lucks, newcomers parties, strap hanger doin's, traders, bull sessions, etc?
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2018, 04:29:54 pm »
I like that idea better of having them done by a certain time of the day as opposed to to time frames.
I couldn’t really help you with the directions. I usually have to use the gps to get in the area, then search and try to remember. From a certain pizza place I can get there easy. I just find the pizza place.

Kyle