Author Topic: MoJam?  (Read 143868 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: MoJam?
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2018, 08:27:49 pm »
Would you give a demonstration on the proper shaving technique?   ;D

It was likely his mom did the shaving. Too traumatic for Dave.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline JonW

« Reply #121 on: June 13, 2018, 08:58:44 pm »
A demo Idea I think would be good is heat bending.  It seems to always be something that I help with quite a bit.  Im sure we can find a stave laying around that could use some bending.

Patrick

Pat I know of five bows I heated and bent last year. I am totally down for a demo.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2018, 09:35:06 pm »
A demo Idea I think would be good is heat bending.  It seems to always be something that I help with quite a bit.  Im sure we can find a stave laying around that could use some bending.

Patrick

Pat I know of five bows I heated and bent last year. I am totally down for a demo.

Sounds good Jon,  I just know I hate trying to help a new person with giant clamp compression scars on their stave, and stress fractures from bending wood that wasn't hot all the way through.  I think it would be good to teach as a team.  Maybe not on a schedule but when ever there is bending thats needed we can gather all who would be interested. 

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline JonW

« Reply #123 on: June 14, 2018, 07:57:52 am »
I don't want to read something into what you said Pat. If you don't think I am capable of doing the demo that's cool. If that's not what you meant then I apologize.

Offline gifford

« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2018, 01:15:25 pm »
Patrick - that's a wonderful weather forecast you posted. "from your lips (or in this case, a weather forecaster) to God's ears".

Like others, I can only recall a couple of MoJAMs that were like that forecast shows. There was one that was brisk enough overnight that folks were sleeping under blankets and sleeping bags. Long sleeves everywhere that a.m. well, long sleeves for those who had the foresight to bring one along. That was the year I headed to Wally World and bought a denim jacket off the sale rack for 10 bucks. Still use it and bring it hoping to wear it again, hmm, maybe I should leave it home this year.

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #125 on: June 14, 2018, 08:21:35 pm »
I knowni have at least of picture of john murray in a flannel jacket one night.

I can always tell a bow that john heated by the clamp marks and smell of burning belt sander.   ;D

Clint i wont ha e time for a demo, ill be to busy trying to find a pencil. Maybe you could just follow me around and carry a pencil for me? Id ask mike to do it, but we all know he would lose it somewhere.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #126 on: June 14, 2018, 08:34:10 pm »
I knowni have at least of picture of john murray in a flannel jacket one night.

I can always tell a bow that john heated by the clamp marks and smell of burning belt sander.   ;D

Clint i wont ha e time for a demo, ill be to busy trying to find a pencil. Maybe you could just follow me around and carry a pencil for me? Id ask mike to do it, but we all know he would lose it somewhere.

I'll bring you a pencil holder
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #127 on: June 14, 2018, 08:54:11 pm »
I don't want to read something into what you said Pat. If you don't think I am capable of doing the demo that's cool. If that's not what you meant then I apologize.

No Jon I didn't mean it that way at all.  I reread what I wrote and I understand what your saying.  I think your way more than capable. And as a team I ment all of us,  but it was just a thought.  No need to apologize bud,  we are all adult here.  I'm sorry it came accross that way.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #128 on: June 14, 2018, 11:05:41 pm »
Pat, jve got a sweet land deal on some ocean front property in Arizona if you want in, just dont tell jon about it.  -C-

Thanks clint! Will this pencil holder be some sort of beard extension?
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #129 on: June 14, 2018, 11:24:27 pm »
Can't say
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2018, 12:46:29 am »
Could be one of those sneaky concealed carry things - bring your card, pencils are dangerous weapons!  Mightier than a sword >:D!  On the other hand, it might be an open carry with a beard clip!
As a newbie, I'd like to see as many demos as practical, but some sort of schedule will help!  Team teaching and hands on are the best methods of teaching/learning.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2018, 04:49:13 am »
Would you give a demonstration on the proper shaving technique?   ;D

It was likely his mom did the shaving. Too traumatic for Dave.

Hee hee. Reminds me of when school was out for summer. My dad would always clip our heads on the lowest setting the clipper had. Lots of tears and hair clippings.lol
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #132 on: June 15, 2018, 04:55:18 am »

Thanks clint! Will this pencil holder be some sort of beard extension?

The more I think of it Dave the more I think a nose piercing would really give you that primal look. And I'm guessing after your mom saw it she wouldn't think the beard was all that bad.lol.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Patches

« Reply #133 on: June 15, 2018, 10:49:59 am »
I will volunteer to do a knapping demonstration if there is interest.  :-K

Neal
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #134 on: June 15, 2018, 07:26:00 pm »
I will volunteer to do a knapping demonstration if there is interest.  :-K

Neal
I'd like to see that Neal.  :OK