Author Topic: MoJam?  (Read 145794 times)

Offline Bob Barnes

Re: MoJam?
« Reply #420 on: July 22, 2018, 09:00:19 pm »
welcome to the MoJam family Mr. and Mrs. Arvin... :)
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #421 on: July 22, 2018, 11:05:14 pm »
A big Thanks to all the Marshall Bowhunters and everyone who worked to make this a great experience!  I learned something new every day, got my hickory bow tillered with a decent tiller and shooting within my tolerance for draw weight!  Had a real great time, and plan to bring the Little Fiddle Woman next year!  She needs another TShirt!, and a self bow(she doesn't know that yet!). Thank to Paul for leading me in and letting me recharge at his place!  And to all the guys to helped reset the one pole after the slight shower on Wed.  Wally World luckily had some pool noodles which helped keep the rain away the rest of the week!  The humuggity is a different program!  And a special thanks to Kyle, Neil, Pau , Larry, and Clint for stocking up my wood supply, Bob Barnes and Badger for helping me with the Flemish twist! The flight shoot was an interesting experience, and a work in progress!  I will critique it from my new guy perspective, and it was a unique event!  Luckily, I can go out to the grasslands and shoot for distance!  Hopefully everyone who was interested in the MOJAM Ale was able to get up the hill to get one!  A certain Viking was so impressed with it's quality that it made him go to sleep! Right in the middle of a war story involving sleep!  Have to plan a brew for next year!  Congratulations to all those folks who got bows built and/or shooting!  There were a lot of dedicated folks in the pavilion!  Thanks for bringing all the tools, and other gear!  I was one of the last to leave and the site actually looked like it was lonesome already! Thanks to all who helped me break camp!  Made it to Junction City, KS before I decided to stop, took a detour through Lawrence to see some old haunts and got totally misplaced!  Lost about an hour and a half trying to find Topeka!  May we all be in the same place this time next year!  An appropriate Irish toast is "Go marir is go gahir"! - "may you live long, and may you wear it out!  Also, my Dutch oven stand followed somebody home, it's a simple x shaped rack that swivels to support the lid or a flat bottom D.O.  If you got it, let me know by pm.  Thanks, the whole week was a blast!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #422 on: July 23, 2018, 12:20:11 am »
I'll second a big THANK YOU to the Marshall Bowhunters for making this event available to go to.Never a dull moment.Camping filled up a good 1/4 mile both sides of the lane.The new event of a flight shoot had dozens of shooters.Besides all the other events going on too a group of us still shot into the wee hours way past midnight playing money tic tac toe at the target range.
It was fun putting faces with forum names and meeting new people there.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 07:11:30 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Emennis

• "In the long run, you only hit what you aim at"HT
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #423 on: July 23, 2018, 05:52:35 am »
Fingers crossed they upload this time, had to email to myself lol
The thing about archery is that everyone can do it and everyone can have a good day at it. You don't have to be an expert.

Tom Barker

Offline Emennis

• Facebook Page
« Reply #424 on: July 23, 2018, 05:54:47 am »
damn pics went in sideways :(
The thing about archery is that everyone can do it and everyone can have a good day at it. You don't have to be an expert.

Tom Barker

Offline Emennis

• Facebook Page
« Reply #425 on: July 23, 2018, 05:57:12 am »
last couple

Tom Barker

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #426 on: July 23, 2018, 08:35:53 am »
Some of the images that MoJam folk posted on fb . . . . . . . . . .

In the beginning, empty fields. But that didn't last long.

There were feasts enjoyed throughout the week. Jon's fish fry (with lotsa help from many others) was staged early in week and seemingly enjoyed by one and all.

There are many traditions at MoJam. One of them is specific to the heat. Fire Dept provides refreshing dousing for all who wanna walk behind as it sprays tons of water. Loyd has a habit of joining kids in this fav event.

There's many informal promoters of MoJam. None outdo this fella. Dave's characteristic full beard is slowly reappearing . . . smile is ALWAYS there.

Didn't get many pics of the bow-making. But suffice it to say that pavilion is tangle of tables, tools, cauls, bodies, and sticks on their way to more exciting use.

This year one young'un came to MoJam carrying one of those wheelie bows. Chris decided that would not do and went to work. Kid was soon shootin' a proper weapon.

It's not MoJam without some shooting competitions.

Running Pig. I'm told that Clint's arrow in 12-ring and Scott's arrow in 10-ring. WoooooHoooooo guys!

Kids have great time with Mr Walker.

Jug Shoot is new addition to MoJam.

Flight shoot was added this year. Aaron crafted some eye-catching trophies. Ed and Arvin walked off with those. THANKS, Steve, for getting this organized!!

As an aside . . . I wish more of the PA community had opportunity to meet Ed. He's the real deal and one of the funniest fellas I've met.

And, of course, there's always the Clout Shoot.

And then there's Saturday night's campwide feast and auction.

While I was not able to attend this year, the regular posting of these images throughout the week enabled me to enjoy vicariously!

To borrow phrase from Kyle, "By end of the week you're dirty, tired and ready to get home. But you already miss the MoJam Family before you even pull out of the park."

NEXT YEAR IS JUST 12 MONTHS AWAY!

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 08:04:31 pm by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #427 on: July 23, 2018, 10:08:06 am »
Thanks for the pics Mikey.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JonW

« Reply #428 on: July 23, 2018, 10:10:40 am »
Well after a full week of Mojam it feels good to be home. Thanks to the Marshall Bowhunters for putting on another fine gathering. Without you this would not be the same. New friendships were made and old ones strengthened. Really missed my friend Mike though. Thinking of next year already.

Offline Mickey

« Reply #429 on: July 23, 2018, 10:21:08 am »
I'm not around much anymore but wanted to thank Bob Barnes for emailing me about the 20th Mojam anniversary. I made the first 10 and then sorta drifted away to pursue another interest I've always had. Figured I'd better do some of it done before it became too late. Dianne and I had a great time seeing some friendly old faces and meeting some of the new energetic guys that will carry on the tradition. Thanks to Marshall Bowhunters/ Keith,Jerry and Robin especially. To Dave and No Nose and the others for keeping the spirit alive and teaching the youngsters the craft. Was so good to see Bob, and Gifford, and Sal, and Rob and Scifres and Darren, and Loyd and Butch, and Brad and Shane, and Darryl and Timo and Lenny and Mudd and Paul and Jerry and Phil and No Nose and so many more. Met some new guys Dave and Patrick that seem to make some pretty nice bows and are willing to help others. Very Cool.

Missed seeing a few of the old timers too..some who are no longer with us. RIP Dean, DCM, and RC

Anyhow it was great, and Dianne and I hope to do it again. Maybe for the 25th? lol

See you in the woods,

the Ferret

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 10:28:02 am by Mickey »

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #430 on: July 23, 2018, 10:30:48 am »
Really missed my friend Mike though. Thinking of next year already.

Sometimes wish there was a "LIKE" button on this site.      :OK
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #431 on: July 23, 2018, 10:54:46 am »
Once again, I had a fantastic time spent with great people. Thank you to the Marshall bow hunters for putting this event on every year. 
The flight shoot was a great success, with Steve, Ed, and Bob deserving special thanks for all the work they poured into it.
There are so many people I want to call out for making this year so special: Clint, Dave, Bill, Steve, Scott, Ed, Patrick, Neil, Sal, Chris, Bob, Arvin, Kyle, Wyatt, Jon, Coby, Paul, on and on and on.

We missed you Mike, wasn't the same without you.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #432 on: July 23, 2018, 11:30:39 am »
What a week! Probably one of the best mojams yet for me.  Thank you so much Marshall Bow Hunters for alowing us to have this gathering every year. 

Im sitting at work right now on lunch trying to stay focused and not fall asleep. Just in case anyone was wondering, No Nose and I did finally get to bed around 3 am Sunday morning, nearly 48 hours straight of helping teach some very enthusiastic new bow makers.  And I would for it all again if needed. 

I would love to name names of all of the people that made my mojam special but I know I would miss someone.  So Thank you to each and every person I talked to, helped,  picked on,  laughed with and learned from!

And Mike I sure did miss you buddy. It wasn't the same without you.

Favorite mojam moment?  Well there is a bunch but I do have one. 
A young man probably 8 or 10 years old came up to , call me by name, and asked me to help him. So I did I marked out a stiff spot on his bow. Then he walked back over to his bench and started working on it and then I seen who he was talking to it was his dad. His dad was telling him how to do something with the scraper. I realized that I had taught his dad how to build his first bow and now he was helping teach his son. A small tear came to my eyes. What a great feeling it was. 
More later,  back to work. 

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #433 on: July 23, 2018, 11:38:10 am »
I realized that I had taught his dad how to build his first bow and now he was helping teach his son. A small tear came to my eyes. What a great feeling it was. 
Patrick

Tooooo cool!

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #434 on: July 23, 2018, 11:47:12 am »
Mickey, thank you for coming to the 20th! The hkt dogs from hell were great! Im so glad that i got to meet you and john face to face. I always thought youd be taller. >:D  just kidding. Hope to see you all again soon.

Ill post pictures after i get back hopefully. I took a lot!

"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley