Author Topic: wood carving  (Read 7997 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: wood carving
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2018, 12:03:23 pm »
Stuck,
Thanks for the info, I'll check them out.
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2018, 12:23:18 pm »
Safety glove? Really?  The possibility of drawing blood teaches good technique: gloves lead to a tighter grip, a cavalier attitude toward the blade, blunter tools and a refusal to learn to use a tool equally well with either hand. I never allowed gloves in any of the carving classes I taught, never had  a serious cut, except when one student reached over his knife to grab a coffee, even he only needed  sticking plaster.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2018, 12:12:49 am »
Yeah, I know!  OSHA rules and union rules or some such!  Got to remember to keep the coffee on the working hand side >:D.  Being left handed, I am fairly able to work with either hand, but nowhere near equally when it comes to fine carving.  Most of the classes around here require the glove, though.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2018, 03:17:13 am »
I'm also naturally lefty, taught to be a righty, so I'm mixed handed, but, if the students need to switch hands, they'll have to take the glove off, put on a different glove and then carve?  Doesn't encourage good technique...  I got lazy last summer and stopped switching hands, now I got tendonitis so I gotta carve with the 'wrong' hand, my own stupid fault, but an important lesson in there somewhere 

Offline ohma2

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2018, 09:53:31 am »
Stickinthemud post us up a carving to view ,like looking at other peoples work

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2018, 12:28:56 pm »
I'll have to try that "2 handed switch technique". Got a right handed crook knife to work with so may get a spoon or bowl going to learn on.!  Not sure about switching with the straight blades at my age! We need a carver board so we aren't stealing Ohma's post! >:D
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2018, 10:37:44 am »
Nice!
Don't shoot!