Author Topic: Fixing a split overlay?  (Read 3020 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Fixing a split overlay?
« on: January 11, 2018, 03:20:39 pm »
I decided to take the chance on the grain orientation for overlays with a small block of leopard wood. And lost that gamble. One split at the grain line on te first bracing with a new string. Part of the problem was a tight fitting string, as the groove is cut with a tile saw blade and is fairly narrow and the string is 10 strand D97 padded with 6 strands of B50 per loop. For now I glued the piece back on with superglue. The best fix is to file it down to a thin shim and glue on a more solid block. But I’m wanting to preserve the look of the leopard wood. I’m thinking about filing a groove around the tip with a triangle file, just below the nock groove, then wrapping with silk thread and superglue.i think it’ll still look good and be plenty strong. But I haven’t done that and am looking for opinions before I do it. Think it’ll work?
I was gonna post a pic or two with it, but my normal resizing app is outdated without an update to work the the new phone software.

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: Fixing a split overlay?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 04:02:26 pm »
https://i.imgur.com/jsyUUCA.jpg,
https://i.imgur.com/GOIeqvh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/wd1afB1.jpg
If it worked, here are pictures of the nock. I had to wait for the app to update so I could post these.

Kyle

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 05:00:59 pm »
Can't you just rasp it off and make a new one, maybe with the right orientation.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 05:22:22 pm »
I’ll probably end up resorting to that. But I’ll have to switch to a different material as the piece of leopard wood I have to work with is a 1/4” thick piece. So only one orientation will work. I’ll most likely end up rasping it down and flying on a piece of persimmon or something.

Kyle

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 05:41:14 pm »
You could always double up the overlay.  Also if you angle your flattened  gluing area the string will put less of a direct splitting force on the overlay.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 09:28:20 pm »
What glue did you use? You might be able to heat the overlay enough to degrade the glue.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline kbear

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 10:12:27 pm »
Once you have made the repair, perhaps cutting the string groove around into the sides of the limb. You will need to allow for the changing string angle between brace and full draw, but that will take a load of pressure off the overlay when the bow is shot. I have had this happen too. Now I file down the sides, and use horn overlays mostly........
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 01:54:26 am by kbear »

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 11:14:38 am »
+1 on kbear's suggestion.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 11:18:15 am »
I see tip over lays the same way I see my truck tires and my boots. Nothing but the best will work in such an important area. That being said, I'd rasp them off and use proven, quality materials to replace them. Looks and appearance only get you so far in tires, boots and over lays :)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 08:38:56 pm »
I went ahead and rasped then down to 1/16” layers and cut some bacote to glue on top. The bacote has proper grain orientation and will go on with super glue like all other overlays I do.

Kyle

Offline RedBear1313

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 12:04:03 pm »
I've used some wenge for my tips on my current project.

that is a very hard wood.  how about that?

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,62098.msg873625.html#msg873625
Hold on to what you can't remember, make sense of what you can't decipher.