Author Topic: cherry saplings for bows?  (Read 1918 times)

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
cherry saplings for bows?
« on: January 13, 2018, 05:41:56 am »
Hi guys I've found some straight and clean small diameter (3") cherry saplings nearby where I live. I was wondering if these would be viable for bendy handle d bows. Possibly decrowned or with hollow limb design? Thanks Si  :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Online stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: cherry saplings for bows?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 07:24:03 am »
Be nice if you knew the exact type of cherry, some types need backing, some don't but prunus makes a very fast bow. Check out Druid's longbow on paleoplanet https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/paleoplanet69529/wild-cherry-longbow-t45061.html
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 07:31:47 am by stuckinthemud »

Offline sieddy

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 09:06:55 am »
Hey thanks for that stuckinthemud. Druids bow looks wild indeed and has quite a high crown for such a powerful bow.
I don't know what kind of cherry i'm looking at, maybe I'll be able to figure it out come spring when it buds and flowers (but different cherries look quite similar I think?) Anyway I live in a urban environment with a mild climate so I don't think they'll be the toughest of trees.
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 11:40:44 am »
I came to the conclusion long ago that Druid is a demigod among bowyers. His bows are not something many can pull off. Especially with cherry, it likes to make itself into toothpicks at full draw.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 11:46:10 am »
Wait til spring, as the leaves emerge to cut the sapling so you can peel the bark off to expose a pristine back. The only cherry(black cherry) I've made were from the sapwood just under the bark.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 12:30:21 pm »
  "Cherry" is a very broad term for a lot of Prunus trees with very different characteristics.

Offline sieddy

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 01:21:37 pm »
Cheers for the input chaps its much appreciated. Sleek I hear ya Druid obviously worked magic with that beast of a bow. My efforts are considerably more humble.
I'm thinking its wild cherry on the basis of the bark, but time will tell (hopefully!)
Anyway when the sap rises I'll cut some and give it a go. Although I think I'm better off with Hawthorn and hazel.

Online stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 03:40:07 pm »
I think bird cherry is ok, but the flowering/ornamentals are more fragile. Also, saplings are much better than mature trees. Still, with enough staves for 6 bows, if the first one fails, you know you'll just have to back the other 5 ;-)