Author Topic: A little stash  (Read 2509 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
A little stash
« on: February 20, 2018, 09:07:35 am »
I mentioned on another post of a local Algonquin man who made a number of bows and arrows years ago, mostly reproductions.  He was quite chatty, something I am not, so anytime I went to visit I had to settle myself in for an earful.  He died several months ago and his widow didn't know what to do with all the stuff he had stashed all over the place.  He also made violins, which he got into after his bow making days, so much of what he had was kicking around was for that.  Anyway she called me a few weeks ago and wanted to know if I was interested in coming over and looking over what he had left, I agreed and went over.  Much of his supplies had already been picked over but I did grab a few old rasps that I'll try to rejuvenate.

There wasn't much in the way of staves but he did have a nice Osage billet, a couple Ash and Elm staves that were decent.  On the way out I asked her if she had looked in his wood stove, I knew that he had a tendency to put things in there.  She had forgotten about that and sure enough he had a small stash of treasures in there.  There was a bag of full length feathers, a couple John Mcpherson books and this

I grabbed the books, the knife, and the feathers, which she gave to me,  There were a few other things, such as some bows, a Tomahawk, a pipe and beading supplies which I suggested she donate to the local Algonquin office and/or the museum
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline osage outlaw

Re: A little stash
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 09:11:13 am »
Nice score.  That top half round rasp will be good for working around the handle and fades. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 09:35:35 am »
They all look well taken care of. I'm sure he'd be happy to see you carve another bow out with them.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 10:00:26 am »
Always have one of those Opinel-type knives in my pocket . . . .
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 10:40:21 am »
The rasps are a bit dull so I'll sharpen them with some Muriatic acid

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 10:51:35 am »
Always need another rasp or good working knife.  Good to see the tools get a good home!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 11:19:52 am »
I love that style knife. They usually get razor sharp with little effort.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 11:53:17 am »
Cool find, too bad about your friend. I have the top 2 rasps you have there, work well.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 08:18:21 pm »
Nice score Marc on the files and knives.I've met John Mchpearson [Praire Wolf] a few times at rendezvous.A very talented fella.Have stayed in touch with him over the years too.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 03:52:41 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 06:40:53 am »
Nice stuff, glad it went to a good home, I often wonder what Miss Joanie and Beau will do with all my stuff, hope they do the same and find it a good home. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 04:54:33 pm »
The only other thing I took was a book called Sacred Legends of the Sandy Lake Cree by Carl Ray and James Stevens.  I took it for my wife, she likes to read.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com