Author Topic: 3rd Annual Wright City MO gathering(March 2,3,4 2018)  (Read 27350 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: 3rd Annual Wright City MO gathering(March 2,3,4 2018)
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2018, 11:14:02 pm »
Sounds good, I like me a good auction! I might go with you and give John a hand!

BJ, I would like nothing more than to hang out with you this weekend.  But when it comes to a pine wood derby thats a special day for those boys.  I remember them very well. Make sure that car is right on the 5oz mark with not to much weight in the front or it will get loose in the back end and slow it down.  Good luck!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2018, 07:54:20 am »
Thanks guys I'd love to hang out with you all to but I know this means a lot to my grandson.  It's his first and my first ever derby. We worked together on his car. We picked out a hot wheels car he wanted to make and I put pencil marks on the block of wood for him to file off. I did a little touch up but he did most of the work. He took it home to sand and paint it. Seems like on my freebie scales it's going to need close to a oz of weight yet. It might pick up some with paint but probably less than sanding will remove. Looks like we'll have to add a little.
Thanks again have a great time
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2018, 08:32:57 pm »
BJ,  Ive glued on fishing sinkers for head lights, tail lights and spoilers! Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Oh and make sure you put some graphite on the wheels. Make sure they spin freely without a wobble!

Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2018, 08:47:31 pm »
Thanks for the tips Patrick
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2018, 08:24:02 am »
Thanks for the tips Patrick
Bjrogg

Now problem bud,  Ive done several of those pine wood derby races.
Whats funny is that the kids that don't do any but put the wheels on their square cars usually do really good.  But evey little bit helps.

Patrick

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2018, 12:33:29 pm »
I've got an osage slat and a bamboo strip that have been "begging" to be glued up. Anyone going to have some glue and a form along with them?

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2018, 09:45:03 pm »
I've got an osage slat and a bamboo strip that have been "begging" to be glued up. Anyone going to have some glue and a form along with them?

Good idea Paul,  Ive been contiplating the same thing.  Ive always wanted a BBO in a RD design. 

Patrick

Offline bowwood

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2018, 06:04:48 pm »
OK Fella's,,,We are 1 week out,,,,,,hopefully weather will somewhat be kind to us.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2018, 08:39:35 pm »
Time flies!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2018, 11:09:18 pm »
Ya'll cross your fingers that forecast come true.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline JonW

« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2018, 08:05:53 am »
I'm praying it does Mike. My vitamin D level is not good.

Offline bowwood

« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2018, 08:33:26 am »
it is sure pretty here this morning ,get out n get you sum of that vitamin D Jon W

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2018, 10:47:00 am »
I'm with Jon,  my vitamin D level is not good either.  I work out in the weather and there just hasn't been much sun.  But the weather for next Friday, Saturday and Sunday looks pretty nice.  Low to mid 50's for highs with sunshine and around 30 or so at night.  (-S :OK
A whole lot better than 3 degrees, windy, with a chance of flying plywood!  (W (S) (=)

Patrick

Offline Patches

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2018, 07:29:38 am »
Mike, any chance you are bringing any of the new musical instruments that you have been making?  I would like to see them.
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2018, 08:52:31 am »
 :OK