Author Topic: First sun dogs of the winter  (Read 3798 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
First sun dogs of the winter
« on: January 15, 2018, 09:06:09 am »

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BrianS

Re: First sun dogs of the winter
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 11:29:14 am »
Cool picture

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 11:59:10 am »
Cool picture

Cool picture, COLD weather!

These are best viewed from indoors with a warm mug of something in your hand!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 12:04:23 pm »
I always think so too Brian.
Some of these can be more spectacular than others.This one is good to fair.Sometimes the rainbowish color can completely surround the sun more pronounced.Caused by atmospheric abnormalities which is just a fancy way of saying it's cold and dry,but if one pays attention it usually happens during the coldest part of a winter with the humidity in the air being very dry outside.A high pressure system is always associated with these too.
We actually are'nt as cold as when I usually see them but it was still cold enough.It was 0 F. this morning.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 10:16:27 pm »
Great shot.  That's cool that you know when to expect them doggies.
I have seen a huge amount rainbows at my home and can actually predict
when they will appear. They mostly appear after late day thunderstorms in
the east but i have been very lucky to film two in the west early morning.
Zuma
Here'a doggie from 30k feet.
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 07:20:04 am »
Beautiful pictures. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 07:23:54 am »
Thanks Zuma.Unique picture of yours also.Taking note of these things is always memorable.Personally I've never been that high above the earth and really don't plan to......lol..I imagine many other views from that altitude are memorable also.I think yours is a rainbow though.Usually occuring right after the rain shower is over like you said.In general I think the colors of a rainbow from a rain shower and sun dogs in the winter are the same because components of air are the same but from completely different conditions.Unique to colder climates in general.We get the rainbows here too in the spring and summer conditions.Something about the way the light refracts through the air at certain levels of the atmosphere I imagine.I'm no expert though.I just observe.
I wish now I would of had a camera with me while coon hunting in the winter months.Many times I watched the northern lights while treeing coon.Those colors are from completely different reasons though and are completely different shapes and colors also.Unique to the northern climates also.
Seems there's always something unique to document in the area a person lives.The windows of opportunity to see these abnormalities is shorter for sun dogs and the northern lights compared to rain shower rainbows.At least in my area.Personally I've seen a pair of sun dogs on either side of the sun in the winter time up here in the past when I was younger.With the outside pair a little less visible and pronounced.Those happened during a lot colder conditions than we're currently having now.
Seems I did'nt appreciate these things as much when younger.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 07:46:26 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline JEB

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 07:58:30 am »
Great photo.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 07:59:15 am »
Nice picture! We've had some pretty big sundogs here this winter, I just didn't get a chance to take a pic :( . In addition to the two spheres to the left and right of the sun, there was one above it as well. In fact, there was dang near a complete circle of light connecting all 3 sundogs (the sun was still pretty low in the sky, so no 4th).
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 08:38:17 am »
Yep you boys up in ND know all about this.They raise em a little different up there.I seem to remember those extras of sun dogs by me too.A complete circle of color around the sun really with highlite spots in the circle.Seems the colors are more pronounced or available to see with the sun at a lower angle to the horizon.I used to call a coon hunting friend just west of Fargo during cold spells.When it was air temp -30 F by me in Iowa it was over -40 F up by him.
Since he was a sheep rancher too I used to ask him exactly what do you get done up there this time of year besides huddling from one building to another during chores???He said that's about it nothing much more besides chucking a lot more wood in the stove also.
All of my relation wanted to move to Florida at some time in their life.I on the other hand wanted to go the other way north or out west.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 09:14:41 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 11:37:54 am »
Nice picture! We've had some pretty big sundogs here this winter, I just didn't get a chance to take a pic :( . In addition to the two spheres to the left and right of the sun, there was one above it as well. In fact, there was dang near a complete circle of light connecting all 3 sundogs (the sun was still pretty low in the sky, so no 4th).

In NoDak, them dogs run in packs!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 10:23:42 am »
I think there is a dog fish on each side of the sun >:D
The phone photo just does not do the pastel colors justice.
It's sixty degrees with a wind chill of sixty one.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline UtahChippewa

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2018, 11:04:45 pm »
Does this count as a sun dog? A few days later it finally snowed...
Knapping...
If you’re breakin’ You’re makin’
If you’re bleedin’  You’re succeedin’

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 12:45:42 am »
I think that dog is barking!  We get those here on the Lee side of the Rockies, too.  I haven't checked the official specs on sun dogs lately, but if I remember correctly, it is a reflected image of the sun on a different plane, with or with out cloud or ice crystals.  Sort of from Meteorolgy 101 about 1961!  Feel free to correct/update me
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 06:14:27 am »
Great pictures everyone. Ed I know this isn't sun dog I'm talking about but Zuma's pictures reminded me of a rainbow I saw one time. When I was still a bachelor and for some reason had more time and money I flew my Cessna 150 every chance I got. One afternoon my brother and I went up. There where very light showers passing through and we were flying along the shore of Lake Huron. Out over the lake was a brilliant rainbow and it was a complete circle. Actually a double rainbow with two complete circles. Sorry no pictures but diffinatly one of those sights you never forget.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise