Author Topic: Filming a muzzleloader small game hunt  (Read 5332 times)

Offline BrianS

Filming a muzzleloader small game hunt
« on: January 15, 2018, 12:13:37 pm »
"Buffalo Gobbler" aka Kevin and I have been goofing around trying to put together a Muzzleloader small game hunt video on and off for a couple of years. Finding time to finish it has been a bit of a challenge. We have some really good footage so far but we still need a bit more to finish it up. This morning we went out and filmed some more. We had some close encounters with some gray squirrels but could not put together a shot (ether too far, wrong angle to film). Later we hunted a overgrown area near a creek that was loaded with rabbit sign. With Kevin filming, I spotted a rabbit. Raised my smoothbore, squeezed the trigger and click (no spark, flash or anything). Rabbit just kinda walked away into the brush. Not sure what caused the gun to not go off. I tried it afterwards and it fired perfect. This video making is a lot harder than it looks. Anyways even though we went home empty handed today, it was a bunch of fun.
Brian

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Filming a muzzleloader small game hunt
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 12:45:34 pm »
Ha! You look like one of the "walnut brigade"!

Nice to see you wearing the pouch high and tight where it belongs.  I ended up in a dash through broken ground and brush once early on before I learned how to wear the gear properly.  A flopping, flailing bag just naturally dispenses your gear in the most efficient and random manner possible such that recovery is guaranteed impossible.  A good midwinter rabbit hunt ruined by missing accouterments.  High and tight also keeps it from hanging up on branches and the like.

Yeah, I know what you say about filming a hunt and getting the shot.  When the camera isn't actually preventing the shot, the shot prevents the camera from shot!  I hate to say it, but you may have to stage things after the fact.  That means you can concentrate on the shooter getting his game and THEN you start filming.  You film the shooter going and collecting the game, posing with the prey, etc.  Then you go back and film the shooter acting out the spot, stalk, aim, and shot.  Creative editing then fixes the order of events.  That's how virtually all of the stuff you see on the hook and bullet shows do it.

You and Kevin should really come out to the Black Hills for this spring's turkey camp in May.  I can tell you without reservation that our western Merriams ADORE his boxcall! These gobblers roar like a bull moose when they hear it!  And best of all, where we have been hunting the last few years the forest cover is open enough that filming the bird coming in is completely possible!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 02:06:10 am »
Challenging for sure - really looking forward to seeing the finished product  :-M ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 09:11:07 am »
Good pic bud.Right up my alley. :-M
Good luck with your filming.Should be totally possible to film the occuring  hunting sequence live.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 04:52:24 am »
Great. Next time the rabbit will be your.
You know... sometimes you get the rabbit... sometimes the rabbit...  (lol) (lol) (lol)

looking forward to see the video   :-M   (B) (B) (B)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 10:57:29 am »
Are you going to work on a turkey hunt, now?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.