Author Topic: handshock and string vibration?  (Read 9564 times)

Offline redhillwoods

handshock and string vibration?
« on: January 16, 2018, 09:12:18 am »
What are the contributing factors/causes of handshock and string vibration after the arrow leaves the bow?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: handshock and string vibration?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 09:29:56 am »
IMO, and in no particular order.
Arrow too light.
Brace height too low.
Poor tiller.
Insufficient twists in bow sting when "hard" string is used,
Uncomfortable grip, gives the feel of hand shock, even though it's just a normal bow.
Anvils tied to ends of limbs
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 09:33:28 am »
x2
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 09:58:10 am »
Tiller will be the culprit most often. Using heavier arrows is just putting make up on a pig. If a bow requires heavy arrows to feel good, something is wrong, IMO.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 10:23:59 am »
Tiller will be the culprit most often. Using heavier arrows is just putting make up on a pig. If a bow requires heavy arrows to feel good, something is wrong, IMO.
Yeah, but you do get some newbies shooting 5/16 target arrows from an 80+ pounder... ::) (Esp in UK where we don't have hunting weight arrows)
Bit like these modern target archers with recurves and compounds with lightweight carbon arrows who are striving for ever increasing arrow speed and then have to screw 3 tons of stabilizers and silencers on to try to calm it down ::)
I notice it when shooting in bows over about 60#, I need to go up to 11/32" shafts, more for the weight than the spine.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 10:39:14 am »
That's a good point. Our world is mostly a hunting world and yours is mostly a flight world. I struggle to make an arrow under 525 grains for my draw length and a 50# bow.  Regardless of what materials I use.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 10:58:53 am »
   I think Tiller is the biggest single culprit assuming reasonable sized outer limbs. My thoughts are that perfectly round tillers are bad for handshock. We shoot 150 and 200 grain arrows from 50 and 60# bows with no handshock. A few years ago I played around using the Gizmo on several bows. All of a sudden my bows had handshock and the tillers looked perfect. I still use the gizmo up to about 22" and then I switch to eyeball. About 10 years ago I built a 60# 69" osage elb. The tiller was as perfect as I have ever gotten one. The first shot out of the bow my hand felt like it was broken. After about 5 shots I couldn't use my hand for a week. I took it home and dropped it down to 50# making the tiller more elyptical and the shock all but went away.

Offline aaron

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 11:18:21 am »
as badger alluded to, if the tips have too much mass. do you have a handshocky bow? post pics unbraced, braced , fulldraw,front profile
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 11:27:30 am »
Wide/"fat" tips don't cause hand shock. I would have argued otherwise years ago. Now, I know better.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 11:41:08 am »
I think dynamic limb imbalance is usually the root cause, and things like extra mass on the tips, less mass in the handle, bendy handles, light arrows, lower brace heights, and such do more exacerbate it than create it themselves.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline aaron

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 12:26:45 pm »
pearl, can you elaborate on how too much tip mass does not cause handshock?
Ilwaco, Washington, USA

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 12:52:18 pm »
When the limb design and tiller match a little extra tip width means nothing. I have shot tons and tons and tons of bows. Some had 1/4" wide tips and some had 3/4" plus wide tips and when the tiller matched the profile the bows shot just fine. I've shot bows that had super narrow tips and rattled fillings loose because the tillers sucked. Gary Davis is a fine example. Quite often his tips are twice the width I go for, and his bows shoot just dandy. Like Jeff said, extra tip mass can become an issue when there are underlying issues, the tips just amplify something else that is wrong. Limb balance, as Jeff pointed out, is a prime factor. Adding more weigh to something already out of balance just makes it worse.

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 01:04:10 pm »
I personally feel that extra tip mass affects speed more than handshock.
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Jesse

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 01:07:12 pm »
Limb timing and tiller style.
In addition  to the tillering tree I trace one limb at brace then flip to see that both sides match. Iff it's off it will be slower and most likely have unnecessary hand shock. Probably not a useful method on a bow with lots of character.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline aaron

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 03:27:11 pm »
thanks, pearl
Ilwaco, Washington, USA