Author Topic: Piedmont Wildlife Center - Durham?  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
Piedmont Wildlife Center - Durham?
« on: January 17, 2018, 09:04:26 am »
Hi, All,
I've been wanting to get started knapping. I have zero experience.
I'm thinking of going to a 4-hr class for beginners offered by The Piedmont Wildlife Center late Jan.
Does anybody have any advice on this place?
Thanks,
...Tom

Offline nclonghunter

Re: Piedmont Wildlife Center - Durham?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 11:50:29 am »
Hey Tom, I see you are in Virginia. There is a knapping event in Courtland Virginia which Stan Piersa helps with. If you are on FB you can look up Stan. I think it is called Ancestral Skills weekend. I would recommend going to knapping events and talk and watch.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 02:04:24 pm »
Thanks, nc! Looks like the VA event is in mid-May.  I'll keep posted on it.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 12:21:50 am »

Stick IMHO you should be able to learn all you need to know right here on this forum :KN
Nevertheless the cost seems very fair. I don't know the instructor but a platform is a platform.
James Parker is a super knapper and admin here but never posts amongst us peons.
Will Seebeck is right in your area with Nova Knappers. Pete Davis hosts House Mt in July near Lexington VA.  Hummingbirdpoint  lives near Richmond  as well as Rex Harrison. The Oregon Ridge gang still get
together at another location north of Baltimore in early May. I have contact info if you are interested.
I live near Luray.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 11:43:51 am »
Stickhead I'd take any chance I could to meet with Knappers. I'm pretty well self taught. My cousin brought some stone home with him one summer. He watched a few YouTube videos and really neither one of us had any idea what we were doing. He left what stone we didn't make into gravel for me. I watched a lot of YouTube before I really started to know where to hit the stone. Then made a lot more gravel before I figured out how to hit the stone. I think in four hours you can probably get a pretty good idea if you like it or just get frustrated with it. I find it very relaxing but it can also be frustrating to.lol I don't know how much the four hour class is and if you get to try knapping or just get to watch but I'd be tempted to give it a try.
Good Luck sounds like you've got lots of events and Knappers close by.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise