Author Topic: My first osage  (Read 4983 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: My first osage
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 07:06:24 pm »
Bill it's the last step in tanning unless you smoke them. When your all done with tanning and the hides are drying you have to break them by pulling them and twisting and sanding and stretching the hide. It has to be done at the right time as it dries and different parts dry faster or slower than others. If you stretch it it should turn white. If it doesn't it's to wet. If it's to dry you won't be able to stretch it. The more you break it the softer it'll be. I've got six mink. One coon. Fourteen muskrats. No fox yet. Not even to replace the ones I took off my walls and traded at Marshall.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 07:46:27 pm »
Nice looking bow

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 08:32:36 pm »
Good job BJ
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 09:32:25 pm »
What does it say when I look at the strung, unstrung, and full draw and think to myself...."typical"?

Looks to me like you are predictable when it comes to hitting your marks for tillering. I think that really says a lot about your level of craftsmanship, it is consistency.  Nice work. Anyone not proud to have that one on their rack just doesn't get it.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2018, 02:56:32 am »
Welcome to the "Dark side" BJ  :BB ! Just a heads up tho - better stock up on Yella wood - You'll never go back  :OK. Great lookin Bow - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2018, 05:01:50 am »
About time on the osage!!!!  Good looking bow BJ.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2018, 05:36:42 am »
  Bjrogg,
                  Nice build man... See that yeller dust on your pants  :BB...Can't go wrong with some good Sage... :OK
                                                                                                                                             Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2018, 06:08:44 am »
Thanks Joe and guy
Thanks JW, I always figured I'm more of a jack of all trades master of none type guy. I know there's much better bowyers on this site but I can see improvement from beginning to present. I would agree my bows have become predictable and I have learned what I can get from a piece of wood. I still build pretty workhorse style bow but I pushed this one slightly more. It's about four inches shorter than my normal HHB and much narrower. I really should weigh it. I feels ridiculously light in my hand. I do really like its size and weight.
Thanks Bob everything is "dark" compared to HHB.lol.
Thanks Paul, that's my biggest regret about my first Marshall trip. I should have bought a bunch of Osage. I got some this year one stave from Clint, traded for one of Matt's Osage blanks and ended up with all the leftovers from Frank all of which where picked over. Plus I've got four more from this log.
Don that yellow dust sure does show up everywhere.lol should have seen me the night before.
Thanks everyone
Bjrogg

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2018, 08:59:45 am »
Very nice looking bow BJ.  I'm looking forward to seeing your 2nd osage bow.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline ohma2

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2018, 09:37:02 am »
BJ thats a great lookin bow.you should be proud.if we werent so far apart id give you another stave of osage to work on.again great job.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2018, 10:14:17 am »
Looks mighty fine to me BJ.  A solid looking bow.
1’—>1’

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2018, 12:47:23 pm »
Thanks Clint I have two more shooting from the same log. They both need a little more weight taken off yet.
Thanks ohma2 I'm pretty proud of all my stuff and love showing it to people who appreciate it. It's funny when people come in our farm shop and see it. It usually takes a hour for them to look at everything and sometimes my brother gets frustrated that it takes so long but he's just as interested as anyone.
Thanks Steve I really liked your sinew backed Osage. I got one of them on my bucket list. That really had a sweet bend sir.
Bjrogg

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2018, 04:20:03 am »
BJ that is one nice bow. Congrats on job well done. Got to love that Osage . Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2018, 07:26:01 am »
BJ,your first osage bow looks great.
When your brother asked about the color you could have sad yes that's the color but not for too long.
I like to watch osage change color.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline leonwood

• Leonwood Bows
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2018, 01:51:30 pm »
Great job! I really like your recurves! I sure wish I had some osage, that stuff is more expensive than gold here in europe so will have to stick to Black locust for a while :laugh: