Author Topic: Spring Turkey Camp, 2018  (Read 11182 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Spring Turkey Camp, 2018
« on: January 19, 2018, 09:48:57 pm »
Winter blahs have set in and the only thing keeping me from climbing under the bed with a pillow and wool blankets until spring comes is the thought of spring turkey camp.

This spring will see a nice new addition to camp furniture, a camp sink/table/cupboards combo unit from Cabelas.  It was on a stupid clearance price and I could not let it escape!  This pretty much finishes up the kitchen in camp. 

Of course, I am planning on making carnitas for dinner one night, complete with fresh made guacamole.  But this year, I am hooking one or two campers into helping out and we'll have fresh home made tortillas, too!  As ever, we shall eat like kings! Gotta be strong if you wanna wrassle these big, loud western Merriams gobblers!

Time for you to start thinking if you can make it or not.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Parnell

Re: Spring Turkey Camp, 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 10:03:18 am »
Nice to think forward like that, JW.  Definitely want to take you up on a hunt up there someday.  Our spring break is in Boston again this year.

What dates do you do it up out there?
1’—>1’

Offline TimBo

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 11:17:25 am »
Looks like the season dates are Apr 14 through May 20, right?  Hmmm...lemme think about that one.

Offline JEB

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 03:07:59 pm »
I would go just for the food the heck with the turkeys,lol.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 03:18:43 pm »

Jeb that's exactly what I was thinking. I would love to make it sometime JW but I'm afraid I just have to enjoy your color commentary. Have fun guys I'll be watching. (-P
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 01:14:59 am »
Might make it there for the camping, the OS fees make for real expensive meat!  Haven't seen too much of that area at al.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 08:57:23 am »
I know you don't want to hear this, but someday I'd love to make it out there for a hang out/hunt. Someday J-dub, someday.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 09:03:16 am »
If I can make it, it will have to be no earlier than May 10 (9th would probably have to be a travel day) - do you know which part of the season you are shooting for?  Are there any turkeys left by then???

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 07:29:02 pm »
I always shoot for the last week of season for camp. This year that means May 16-20.  The reasons are twofold, firstly to try catching the best weather possible, secondly the hens are off setting eggs pretty early in the mornings meaning the toms are left alone to their devices and are looking for love any way they can get it. Late season calling can be some of the most productive of the year.

There had been a rumor that tags were taking a 25% jump in price this year, but apparently that is not the case. It's $25 for residents and $100 for nonresidents, no additional licensing or tags necessary.  Since turkey is considered a big game license, the state throws in coyote/fox/etc.  Iowabow had a coyote come in on him last time but was unable to move to take a shot.  Or so he says, I was 15 ft away and didn't see a thing. (There was crazy talk that I was taking a long hard look at the insides of my eyelids at the time, which I categorically deny)

I ground up 20 lbs of venison, pork, wild turkey breast, and some pheasant breasts for salami this morning.  I got the casings stuffed and will be smoking them tomorrow. Pending taste testing, there will be lunchmeat available for snacking.

And Pearlie, I am about sick and tired of your flirty teasing.  Stop with these empty promises and make the trip out here.

I am pretty darn sure that has been everyone's attitude all along. None of the people invited have taken a turkey yet. Not soy, not tattoo dave, not Kyle, Mikey, Julup, Primitive Tim (heck - he even got SHOT when he came out here), Iowabow (but at least he has taken shots!), or any of the rest!  And it is not for opportunities. We've never had a year where folks weren't working birds morning or night. Last time we even called a rogue batch of hens right up to the campsite!  Which, by the way, we will be using the Elk Rocks site again.

It got that name when I camped there the first time. In the rain in the middle of the night I had elk bugling within a few hundred yards of me. We had cow elk tracks on the edge of camp two years ago, too.  I am finagling a deal with a local landowner for access to a couple roosts on his place, he wants these birds thinned out since they are all over his haystacks.  We will see what becomes of them come spring, though.

At this time, there are only two RSVP's, mine and Kyle's. It's not an invitational thing, if you are interested in coming post a reply or send me a message.  There is NO CHARGE for camp because that means I would have to bet a guide license and insurance.  I provide the food, cook from scratch, and all you gotta do is pitch in your share of the groceries and propane. Most years it is between $30-35.  No, seriously.  I watch the sales all spring and stock up when it is cheap, so this all works out well.  Carry your share of the water in camp and pitch in on what few chores there are.  No politics.  Practice, but don't flaunt your religion. Take lots of pictures.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 09:38:34 pm »
OK, soooo Iowabow is the only one who has taken any shots, and Primitive Tim got shot...hmmm. 

Those dates might just work for me, and $100 for non-residents is quite reasonable.  I will get working on permission...

Stringman

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 08:12:06 am »
I’ll vouch for Jdub on this one. He might be a smoothtalking, rogue looking weasel, but he’s a Cracker Jack cook and stand up guy. I’d camp with him again in a minute! Have fun guys!

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 02:20:10 pm »
Well John, I'd love to say I could make it this year, but I can't really plan much of anything at this point in time. It may be a last minute trip. I'll send you a PM explaining.

Pearly, the drive is well worth the experience for sure!! I drove half way on day one, and camped in Minnesota for one night, and drove the second have the next day. 16 hour drive for me, but did some fishing in Minnesota, it was a good trip. 

JW, those damn jakes had our number. Snuck up behind us, likely excuse right. Where exactly is Elk rocks camp? Is that where we camped when I was there? We did see some elk while out.

Iowabow, We need another crack at that big tom that refused to move. He deserves an arrow in his vitals!!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 06:35:58 pm »
Indeed, Dave. Same place. 

OK, soooo Iowabow is the only one who has taken any shots, and Primitive Tim got shot...hmmm. 

I kept telling him we were after TOM Turkey, but he is kinda old and hard of hearing.  I will understand if he says he is coming again this year and you have to cancel.  Safety first.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 06:20:16 pm »
Was going through a shoebox of handwritten recipes looking to switch things up in camp and came across one  that caught my eye.  It was copied out of a private message from PatB, his red beans and rice recipe. Oh, I think we ought to have some of that! 

Anyone got any recommendations on what you might wanna see on the table if you were there?  You don't have to be coming to share your opinion. 

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 12:06:50 am »
Well, a couple of Dutch ovens with venison chili, or Shepherds Pie, or Stroganoff, would hit the spot!
With a home brew to top it off, oh, and sourdough biscuits!  Nothing wrong with grilled steaks or a slow cooked roast, baked spuds, and assorted vegetables, either.  A huge hunters scramble of eggs, meats, spades and lots of coffee for breakfast!  Especially after the home brew the night before -C- (=) >:D!!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry