Author Topic: Spring Turkey Camp, 2018  (Read 11132 times)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Spring Turkey Camp, 2018
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 08:15:07 am »
One of my favorite camp foods for a late breakfast, after chasing the morning birds is chorizo and eggs on a warm corn tortilla, and little hot sauce of course. It's really easy to make, and there's never left overs.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline timmyd

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 03:09:27 pm »
 Merriam turkey is on my list. one of the most beautiful birds other than bald eagles in my opinion.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 01:42:02 pm »
Merriam turkey is on my list. one of the most beautiful birds other than bald eagles in my opinion.

We have both here.  You interested in coming out?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 01:42:44 pm »
Thinking a big fish fry one night.  Grilled trout and deep fried bluegill?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2018, 03:18:17 pm »
My tags came in the mail the other day.  I am suffering from desire to get out and hunt, but the opening day is long off and camp dates are even further off!  I got out my box(es) of calls and started going through and organizing.  The great call from BuffaloGobbler (thanks again, Kevin) will be coming to camp, no matter what. It is officially the call that belongs to the camp and not me.  Everyone gets to use it! 

I have been experimenting with making home made pastrami.  Last nite I think I finally got the spice rub ratios down pat, but oversmoked the meat.  Will dial back the amount of wood chips, lower the temp, and see how the next batch turns out. If I cannot turn out a decent pastrami, at least I know I can make great corned beef.  So at the least we will have a corned beef dinner in camp one night.

I ran off a big batch of pork sausage recently, too.  I am reserving some of that for breakfasts, biscuits and gravy, sausage-eggs-n-taters, stuff like that.

Anyone else cranking around anxious about turkey-bird season?

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2018, 05:41:12 pm »
I am really getting ready for Turkey season.  Keller and I both got drawn for the second MN season.  There should be some good hunting for us. I can't wait. It is still 7 weeks away.

Mike

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 12:26:28 am »
We are going to get over the counter torn tags for spring, likely hunt shotgun!  Would like to get one anyway possible, got to catch up with my hunter Ed students!!  I am a definite maybe, should have the hickory bow done and broken in by then.  If  ain't ,  either "Transdex" or "old Glassy" will step up, if I got spending money to spare!  Otherwise, you just may have to listen to some old guys telling about "Been there, done that"!  And sipping some suds, of course!  Remember, a mountain man or ranger don't never lie, 'cepting maybe >:D (=)!!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2018, 07:50:19 am »
I'm desperate for turkey season. I had a crappy deer season last year, barely made it out but 4 or 5 times, and had to hunt mostly public land last year. The one time I did make it out to some private farm land to hunt the corm was down already. Nothing like hunting over an empty dirt field. Really looking forward to getting in the woods, but gotta wait until May.

I'll take a full order of B&G with a side of corn beef hash!  :OK

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 02:32:14 pm »
I'm desperate for turkey season. I had a crappy deer season last year, barely made it out but 4 or 5 times, and had to hunt mostly public land last year. The one time I did make it out to some private farm land to hunt the corm was down already. Nothing like hunting over an empty dirt field. Really looking forward to getting in the woods, but gotta wait until May.

I'll take a full order of B&G with a side of corn beef hash!  :OK

Tattoo Dave

If I remember right, you can put a dent in the groceries pretty good in camp!  It is sure a pleasure to cook for someone with such a good appetite.  Gotta say it was mighty romantic sitting in the woods listening to you call.  Why I got to wishing I had a tail fulla feathers just so I could fan out!   ;)

Mike, I sure wish you and Keller could come out!

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2018, 07:53:39 am »
JW, You almost had me all choked up there and blushing.. until you called me fat. :laugh: :laugh: I can't deny it, me and food are close friends!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2018, 03:34:07 pm »
I never called you fat, but I would like to point out you never sat more than arm's length from the table.... >:D

My experiments with pastrami are still disappointing.  Commercial corned beef just went on sale at the grocery, so I might just load up on a few of those and smoke 'em.

Last night at Pint Nite with the Backcountry Hunters and Anglers I made contact with some really fired up outdoorswomen that are just as wound up for turkey season as I am. Our chapter president's wife and I are now talking about a 2019 BHA Women's Turkey Camp in the Black Hills!  Frankly, I am pretty excited about this if only because camp is likely to smell a while lot better with them!!!

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2018, 04:26:45 pm »
That would be awesome, the corn beef and BHA at turkey camp!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2018, 10:39:14 pm »
A real co-Ed turkey camp!!??  Hell's bells, one of them will probably score the first bird!   (SH) :G >:D!
Sounds like it would be fun!  Little Fiddle Woman would probably wake me up zero dark 30 to get to the blind in time!! Assuming I can get her to come up!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2018, 10:46:13 pm »
Btw, the tin tipi is 28'.  Will make a muffler box for the generator, and can get it a ways out from camp if need be(if I bring it!)
Jerry

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2018, 08:11:06 pm »
It's still early, but can I get folks to check in if they are working on plans to come to camp?  And for that matter, if you are interested in coming out but haven't gotten a personalized hand engraved embossed wax seal with coat of arms imprint invitation but are still interested, send me a P.M. 

Shinin' times are less than two months away!