Author Topic: Spring Turkey Camp, 2018  (Read 11190 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Spring Turkey Camp, 2018
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2018, 12:40:37 am »
Whooie!, Saturday sounds wicked!  I can probably flip a tortilla, or a flapjack!  Got some unspicey chorizo?  Eggs over easy!  Will try to get a couple loaves of sourdough bread baked to bring along.  Looking forward to the event! :G (SH) -C- (=).  Will bring the fake fire, too.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2018, 10:37:00 am »
Sure wish I could make it again. That menu sounds fantastic JW! Have fun all, and share some pics with us.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2018, 07:40:09 pm »
Sure wish I could make it again. That menu sounds fantastic JW! Have fun all, and share some pics with us.

Tattoo Dave

Wish you could be here. You are always welcome back, you know!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2018, 01:44:02 pm »
15 days and counting!  Starting to get excited over here.

Offline Adam

« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2018, 08:05:20 pm »
I'm looking forward to pictures and stories of the proceedings.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2018, 06:00:12 pm »
I just got word that a contract is up for bids with the Game and Fish and I have until Friday to piece together a proposal, work up cost estimates, and get in a bid.  Usually, something like this would take six weeks and I only have a couple days!  Good thing I have most everything prepped for camp already.

Can't tell you how much getting this contract means to me, new vehicle, a few bucks back into savings, and renewed faith in myself (that's been lagging a lot lately). I heard rumor that my nemesis WEST, Inc,  is bidding, too.  I have undercut them on a number of bids in the past, but they always get the contracts because they are a juggernaut in the field.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2018, 10:50:57 pm »
Damn!  Nothing like a bit of pressure bidding a government contract!  Good luck!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2018, 06:51:05 am »
Good luck JW, got my fingers crossed, hoping you get that contract.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2018, 11:17:02 am »
Got the proposal for contract on it's way!  It will be in before deadline and every T is dotted and every I crossed.  Now I just gotta wait a few weeks to hear back.

That's the good news.

Bad news?  Well, Blue Dog, the ever faithful Jeep Cherokee just took a dump.  It was overheating on the hiway when I was "pushing" it Friday and my mechanic says the radiator needs replacement. Got that ordered and it arrives Thursday. Now it overheats just driving across town and lifters can clatter a bit, and it stalls at every light like it is not getting gas.  Pump the heck out of the pedal and I can get it started and run until the next light.

Gonna have to call around to see if I can borrow a ride until this gets fixed. I guess I will find out later this week what all is on the list for repairs (if it can). Sigh....I need a week in the woods for Turkey Camp.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2018, 12:02:08 am »
Getting closer!  7 and a wake-up!  Hope the damage to the checkbook isn't too stiff!  Getting the tin tipi ready this week, and mounted some broad heads, need to sharpen them after test firing, hopefully tomorrow.  Still have to weigh some charges for the flintlock!  Got the stare warming up to make some bread.  I plan on getting there Sunday afternoon depending on departure time from here.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2018, 07:21:39 pm »
I have a loaner Suburban that is as big as a bus for now. Here's hoping the Jeep can be surgically resurrected.

I did a mess of food prep today, so that much of it can be whipped together in camp. Waiting until the last minute to do the final grocery push so that stuff is fresher.

And I have not received a call that my bid proposal with the Game and Fish has been rejected, so I am holding out a glimmer of hope! 

Been hearing sporadic news of bird activity. They have been very reticent to gobble this spring, what with the extended cold of a late winter. I hear they are becoming much more active on the roost right away in the morning, and even a little in the afternoons!  Pray for warm weather and sunshine to keep them fired up!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2018, 11:51:22 pm »
Down to a wake-up!  Just have to get the camper off the jacks, load the generator, felt can, food, duffel bag, pillows, stow the electric hookup, eat bareakfast, drink coffee,  hookup camper, and roll out!  Hope to be on the road by 9:00 am mdt!
No pics, it didn't happen, BUT I went to the range test test my broad heads, shot about 2 dozen times at milk bottles , hit about 12-15 times including nicks at 10 yards.  It seemed like more of the hits were my red osier shoot arrows!  May get to practice in camps with an el cheapo decoy before I sharpen the points for hunting(125 gr. Zwickys). Look out, turkeys! (SH) :G >:D
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2018, 08:28:15 pm »
Hawkdancer has landed! We got his camper parked and.leveled. Now into town for a quick dinner.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2018, 06:34:24 am »
Good luck hunting guys.  I hope you all find a real dumb turkey.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2018, 01:35:50 pm »
Good luck hunting guys.  I hope you all find a real dumb turkey.

I am afraid I have been a party to killing off all the dumb ones. Those surviving have become quite crafty. However, we did see hens last nite close to camp, so we know there ARE birds out there!

Next year, you and Killer Keller need to make it out!!!