Author Topic: Spring Turkey Camp, 2018  (Read 11193 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Spring Turkey Camp, 2018
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2018, 09:58:53 pm »
Got to fooling around on Google Maps and located the rockpile where camp is located again this year.

Maybe some of the folks coming like using GPS and wanna get a jump on scoping the place out.  Hoping we get some better weather soon so I can get out and scout the area again.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2018, 10:38:35 pm »
What map sheet is that on?  May have to order a 1:24000 map from USGS, and get my compass out!  Of course, some ground directions would help.  The Turkey Hunt brew is bubbling, the little yeasties are working hard.  It will go to the secondary fermenter Thursday or Friday, then bottle in 2 more weeks.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2018, 10:40:22 pm »
USGS map?  I dunno, our only source for paper maps doesn't have it. And now that they are no longer printing maps, I am trying to work my way over to GPS.  Lemme do a little checking around.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2018, 12:22:46 pm »
May have to try Huntdata.com.  They use USGS data and BLM data to print hunt area maps.  Guess we are going get dragged into the 21st century, kicking and screaming, or revert to the 18/19th centuries and use dead reckoning!  Oh well, we're hunting with weapons from that era, anyway!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2018, 02:41:01 pm »
If it's Google earth reset your settings to Lat's and long's minutes and seconds or UTM meters is simple and more accurate
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2018, 11:31:46 am »
38 days and counting down.  Several folks planning on coming have had to drop out, so there are a few open spots. Getting close to the wire, but at least the tags will be available for anyone that can get a kitchen pass.  This is not limited to just close friends of mine, or even people with X number of posts.  Newbies and lurkers welcome.

For those that would have to fly in, I have an extra cot and sleeping bag/wool blankets. All you really need to bring is clothes and your turkey slaying tool of choice (Well, it has to be stuff they will let you check as baggage, no RPGs.)  This is also not strictly limited to primitive archery equipment, or for archery either. I would rather the birds be taken cleanly and ethically than wounded and lost, if it comes to that.

Doing some last minute tweaks to the week's menu, too. The National Forest Service, EPA, and several other agencies have asked we drop the Friday Night Chili Feed.  I think I may have found an end run around them and will, instead, be offering PatB's recipe for Red Beans and Rice!  Expect the weather on Saturday to be windy.  -C-

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2018, 12:32:56 pm »
According to LouAnn at GFW, my tags are in the mail!  Plan on bringing bows, ml 12ga, and maybe my Fox Model B 12 ga modern gun.  I don't think I have enough practice to get one with the atlatl and dart (AT)!  Be darn lucky to get one, period!  I can come up early to help set up, thought about that any way to get familiar with the area and a couple more days hunting.  You did order good camping weather, right? >:D (S)!  Looks like it will be shorter for me to come through Lusk, WY.  Now to find the maps!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2018, 12:36:53 pm »
I can only say that the weather will be interesting.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2018, 02:40:47 pm »
Just noticed the calendar for May shows New Moon starting the same day as the camp. It's gonna be darker than the inside of a black cat out there.  Bring a lantern!  And bring a flashlight or headlight with red or green lenses so that you can stalk in the dark without spooking the turkeys! 

36 days and counting down.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2018, 02:57:56 pm »
Our spring season just closed yesterday.  Full days hunting Saturday and Sunday, had a gobbler call but no luck! 
1’—>1’

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2018, 12:46:01 am »
Got my tag yesterday!  Getting anxious!  Starting to plan the load list and my early menu(eat at nearest cafe!). I think I can get there on Sunday to help camp set up and get my lodge set up, and scout/hunt some.  Keep us posted on fire bans, etc.  I can bring Weber kettle grills, large and small, and a "fake" fire.  Will also bring camp stove and small propane grill.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2018, 08:19:51 pm »
If you can shut off the fire with a switch, you can have it.  They used to turn a blind eye to my woodburner in the tent because it had a spark arresting system and I only used it in the winter/snow. But we have had several winter fires now and all burning is pretty well banned.

I have a huge three burner gas stove/grill system with flat tops. Plus I will have another smaller coleman gas burner on the side for keeping hot water for washing up.  More than anything, consider bringing several larger containers of water.  No matter how much we bring, I always end up running into town some day at noon to refill containers.

I drove into the camp site last Sunday to scout and do a little work on cleaning up deadfalls/etc.  There was a lot of snow, and it was slathered up and down with turkey tracks and turkey crap!  We may have to limit the use of turkey calls around camp or it could become a bad scene from Deliverence with scads of hillbilly turkeys taking a liking to our purty mouths!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2018, 11:25:09 pm »
I will count my water cans, I think I can bring 35-40 gallons!  Have to recheck the cutoffs for the tent stove and the "fake" fire and make sure there is one for each!  At least we can sit around and pretend! Not being able to have a real campfire is the pits, can't smoke your self in sage! 

We are in a red flag warning tomorrow and maybe again Thursday,  May get rain and/or snow Friday!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2018, 09:15:26 pm »
Got the map, need some land marks!  What's the best way in off off 18/85. Coming north from Custer?  I plan on coming up on the 13th.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Spring Turkey Camp, 2018 (Read the menu and drool, folks!)
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2018, 02:43:37 pm »
Ok then, less than three weeks to camp and I have finalized the menu, folks:

Tues evening: buffalo burgers, barbecue beans, coleslaw (easy peasy)

Wednesday:
a.m. Sausage, eggs, home fries
p.m.  Venison stew, cornbread

Thursday:
a.m. Biscuits and gravy, eggs
p.m. Corned beef and all the fixings

Friday:
a.m.  Pancakes, bacon and eggs
p.m. T-bone steak and baked potatoes, salad

Saturday:
a.m.  Spicy chorizo and egg breakfast tacos
p.m.  Carnitas, refried beans, Mexican rice, and fresh made guacamole

Sunday:
a.m. Antacids for the day before, Scotch eggs

There will also be a pot of soup hanging around most of the time.  I will make up scratch chicken and noodle, split pea, and something else to be determined.  As usual, there will be a fresh fruit supply of bananas, apples, grapes, etc.  I recommend a banana a day for the potassium to ward off leg cramps.  There will also be a supply of carrot sticks, celery, cheeses, and crackers so that you can load your pockets before rushing off into the woods in the morning or evening. Rumour has it there will be a large jar of pickled eggs, too. (Just in case anyone gets tired of all the fresh air, ya know)