Author Topic: cheap scraper idea  (Read 4176 times)

Offline paulsemp

cheap scraper idea
« on: January 20, 2018, 03:54:38 pm »
 due to all of our lovely below zero days we've had our local lakes froze and was a good chance to get my little girls out and teach them how to ice skate. I've been skating in my 1970s CCM tack for years and finally decided this was the year I was going to go buy a new pair of skates.  I was about ready to throw my old ones in the garbage and figured why not cut the blade off and see if it was worth anything. I'm not sure what type of Steel it is a lot of guys claim it's 440 C. Filed it flat and rolled the burr on it.  makes a decent scraper. certainly not ready to throw out my high-end cabinet scrapers.  considering you could probably pick these up at a resale shop for a couple of bucks might not be a bad option for some guy's.

Offline DC

Re: cheap scraper idea
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 04:16:10 pm »
Did you try it before you ground it flat? I'm wondering how the hollow grind might work.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 04:18:34 pm »
 I did. I could not get a burr to roll of the hollow ground and it was not scraping very well without the burr

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 04:23:40 pm »
Thanks, it was just a thought. :D

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 05:18:06 pm »
I think that is a great idea, I am just wondering how easy it is to control the angle if you don't have a handle on it? I think a scraper with a handle gives you a lot of control. Other than cabinet scrapers I am using paint scrapers where the blade has been sharpened. What is your preferred scraper?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 05:57:19 pm »
I wish you would have left it on the shoe.  That would have been hilarious to see you chasing a ring with it  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 06:07:14 pm »
I just like it plain old card scraper with no handle on it

Clint that would be a heck of an idea for Marshall. Forget the hatchet bow build instead we'll do it with ice skates.... maybe you could hold The Stave while I kick it

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 06:14:15 pm »
Sounds good Paul.  Maybe you could find an old pair of skis and we could try to hack out a couple of bendy handle bows.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline chamookman

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 01:52:10 am »
Good thinkin' there Bud  :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2018, 07:11:02 am »
Would now be a good time to point out that broken glass makes the best scraper of all, but remember to tape up the edges you don't want to scrape with.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2018, 07:27:23 am »
Skating...that brings back memories. Good idea for using the blade as a scraper.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 02:16:36 pm »
Neat idea!  Repurpose and extend the useful life span!  I remember skating in the far distant Past, too!  Mostly bustin' my butt on the ice! >:D!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 06:08:40 am »
Waste not want not, good idea, take something not useful and make it useful again. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 08:07:39 pm »
I just like it plain old card scraper with no handle on it

Clint that would be a heck of an idea for Marshall. Forget the hatchet bow build instead we'll do it with ice skates.... maybe you could hold The Stave while I kick it

You totally gotta use an old hockey puck for material for tip overlays on that bow!!!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.