Author Topic: This guys got skill  (Read 8207 times)

Limbit

This guys got skill
« on: January 21, 2018, 02:01:51 am »
I ran across this video and had to share it. I think he is using osage without a horn belly. At least I am not seeing any horn being applied. Either way, it is mesmerising to watch his technique and almost unbelievable it holds together. Props to osage and this guy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTnGce3FXDo

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: This guys got skill
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 09:38:21 am »
Thanks for sharing, really enjoyed that, the video shows lots of great  techniques, I learned a lot, good to see the whole process, including birch bark covering. Don't think it's likely to be Osage if he's European bow builder ?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 09:57:28 am by stuckinthemud »

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 12:03:15 pm »
Good one. Watching him carve away on the carpet I think he's a single man ;D

Limbit

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 06:48:27 pm »
I didn't think it could be osage at first as well since he is in Russia or there-about, but after researching it, there are several strains of it that were cultivated throughout the region and are now naturalized. I thought it was mulberry at first, but I doubt mulberry could withstand what he did.

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 08:02:38 pm »
  He has exceptional skills, I also think he is an artist as a lot of what he was doing was artistic as well as skilled. I think the wood was mulberry, I doubt it was under much strain, the sinew was likely handling the bulk of the load. I doubt the bow had much draw weight. Very relaxing video.

Limbit

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 01:31:07 am »
That is interesting. So the sinew is taking the strain off the wood and so long as the poundage is low enough, the compression in the wood won't merit applying horn? I would be interested in trying this with mulberry if you believe it would hold up. I have a lot of it where I live and have been wanting to try a horn-bow for quite some time, but haven't found any water buffalo horns in my area that are long enough, so have been holding off. I've got better compression woods, namely incense cedar and chinese juniper, but both have torn up the back when the sinew I applied dried. I mean literally tore the back right off in areas. Thought about the whole carbonized bamboo thing, but would rather use wood if possible.

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 06:17:28 am »
If you check the comments, he says that it is made from mulberry. The blw was also said to be around 30 pounds and meant for a museum piece.

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 07:21:49 pm »
If you check the comments, he says that it is made from mulberry. The blw was also said to be around 30 pounds and meant for a museum piece.

I was thinking about 30#, it was hard not to notice how sluggish the arrows were coming out of the bow.

Limbit

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 11:06:59 pm »
Ah, well that explains a whole lot then. I had initially assumed it was mulberry, but didn't think the mulberry would hold up. I guess the low poundage keeps it operational.

Offline willie

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 03:45:25 pm »
Native American sinew backed bow. Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIFvTSZ59WA

Limbit

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 03:43:45 am »
I love all the little cauls he makes out of wood on the spot for shaping the bow. That's primitive.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 04:24:41 pm »

I was thinking about 30#, it was hard not to notice how sluggish the arrows were coming out of the bow.

Yeah, I saw that too. The string tension at the end was practically not there. But that's what you would have to have to get bends like that without breaking.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 09:18:28 pm »

Yeah, I saw that too. The string tension at the end was practically not there. But that's what you would have to have to get bends like that without breaking.

Not true at all.

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 10:50:58 pm »

Not true at all.

I agree with Pat. While I do struggle with string tension, I do mamage to keep it functional when I make them.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others