Author Topic: my tillering (Controversial, to be condemned, dangerous!)  (Read 4323 times)

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
my tillering (Controversial, to be condemned, dangerous!)
« on: January 22, 2018, 02:01:08 pm »
I haven't used a long string in close to 20 years. I haven't broken more than one bow in tillering in the same time span. My bows don't take much set.

I cut the limbs close to final dimension on the band saw. Then I rasp them closer and start floor tillering. When I've got what I think is enough bend and the limbs feel equal, I string the bow to brace height and take a look at it.

Then, if the limbs don't look even, I unstring it and work on the strong limb or strong sections. Some scraping comes into play at this point. Then I string it up again and put it on the tree and pull it to whatever length shows stiff spots or comes to target weight or target draw weight. If adjustment is needed, I do that. I make 20 half or three quarters pulls and recheck the bend.

When the bow looks right, I go shoot it. This rarely takes half a day.

Making bows is only a means to an end to me. I don't want to be known as a bowyer or an artist. I just like shooting wooden bows and arrows. Some of your bows would look at home in an art gallery. As long as my bow has good cast and is stable in hand, I'm happy.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 02:05:59 pm by Jim Davis »
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: my tillering (Controversial, to be condemned, dangerous!)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 02:16:56 pm »
Looks pretty good to me, the top limb is a little stiff though.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 02:17:12 pm »
As long as that works for you, Jim, that's all that matters. The proof is in the pudding.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 02:24:09 pm »
Hey there Eric, I'm thinking about getting down your way for the Howard Hill. I've got a small RV trailer now.

Photo is just to illustrate that I do really make bows. ;) As for the limbs, the bow is canted. The top limb is not really as stiff as it looks. Photo is a few years ago. My limbs are stiffer than they were then. lol
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 02:33:21 pm »
Jim I'm sorry to say but it looks like your a bowyer to me and there for I'd also say a artist. That's pretty much how I've tillered the last fifteen or so bows. I just watch each limb bend with handle clamped in vice. When bend looks right and limbs seem even if they feel right for brace height I make a string. I brace bow and go from there. It seems to work for me to.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 03:42:28 pm »
Ok Jim. Whittle away.

I'm not sure what you want us to say here. Lol
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 05:54:37 pm »
Bow looks great, Jim. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 06:06:36 pm »
   You can't argue with success. I did them almost exactly as you describe for many years. Heavily reflexed bows involve a little more risk. Once you get to know a design and the wood you are working with it speeds things up greatly.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 06:37:04 pm »
Ok Jim. Whittle away.

I'm not sure what you want us to say here. Lol

Me either! Just my reaction to lots of folks stressing out over each scrape.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 06:39:24 pm »
looks good enjoy your shooting,, (SH)

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 06:48:55 pm »
  Jim, over the last several years, mainly since I retired and have more time I started extending out my tillering process by several hours. mainly because I have fun doing it. I build a lot of different styles and a lot of different weights lengths etc. I try to come up with approaches I can use on any bow. I expect my approach to be able to tell me how much I can get out of a bow as opposed to being stuck on a target draw weight hit or miss. Just last week I set out to build a 110# elb, I discovered that the bow had 100# in it but not 110# unless I wanted about an extra inch of set. I dropped it down to 90# and designated it for someone else and rebuilt the next one which came out a nice 110# but just a tad more bend in the handle than I want and mid limbs slightly stiffer than I want so I changed design again started on a new one which I hope meets my ideal. It only works for me like this because I analyze everything every time I take it back to the tree. The last bow that came out at 110# was actually laid up with the center just a tad too thin so I am adding a 1/8" core to the next one. Even if I am wasting some time I really enjoy the added intensity of trying to hit a smaller target so to speak.

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 07:28:21 pm »
Hi Jim,

I admire you for what you do. I am not nearly experienced enough to cut it that close with my bandsaw. I am using HHB and the saw has a habit of running to the side even though I am thinking that I am doing everything right...its just really tough wood to cut. So I am forced to cut it wide enough to allow for some margin of error sawing it and the rest is left to a hoof rasp and a lot of scraping.

I hope to be able to cut down on the length of time it takes me to make a bow since sometimes it feels that it takes so long to get to the point where I can even string it.

I have to say though that you are still an artist! That bow looks really good whether it took you a day to do it or 3 weeks.  :)

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 07:36:37 pm »
Not gonna lie.. I abuse mine (by most litersture’s standards) much the same as you do. I just broke my first one in 2.5 years yesterday. They take an acceptable amount of set unless I get too impatient with moisture content.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 08:26:08 pm »
... Even if I am wasting some time I really enjoy the added intensity of trying to hit a smaller target so to speak.

No Steve, you're not wasting time any more than I am. This can only be a pleasant diversion for most of us. For you, and lots of others, the path is as important as the destination.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Traxx

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 08:53:42 pm »
I could be wrong,,but how i interpreted this was...Dont over complicate things..