Author Topic: New to the forum/Seeking knowledge  (Read 7682 times)

Offline Ben.Kellerman

Re: New to the forum/Seeking knowledge
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2018, 09:24:14 pm »
Started on my handle too

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2018, 07:27:21 am »
Well done. Enjoy your first. Congratulations! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2018, 01:08:08 pm »
Enjoy the feeling Ben. It is very addictive. Learn all you can from this one and start another soon. I'll never forget the feeling of shooting my first bow. I'll never forget how much I missed it when it broke to.lol Keep on building them and making them better. I like you had absolutely zero experience with bows when I started. Sometimes I think that's even a good thing.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Ben.Kellerman

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2018, 04:56:08 pm »
Thank you all for being so welcoming and willing to help.  Just put a quick coat of stain on it. Personally I think she's looking pretty sharp!  What does everyone finish their bows with? 

Offline Ben.Kellerman

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2018, 06:00:44 pm »
 :OK

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2018, 10:59:51 pm »
Looking great, Ben.  Welcome! 

You can finish bows with all kinds of things.  I usually use 2 part epoxy or polyurethane on laminated or more modern-looking bows and oil/beeswax on real primitive-looking stuff.  Long as it won't chip or flake when bent a little.

10" is longer than I would have done the handle on such a short bow, but it worked out, right?  That, plus a stubborn transition getting the limbs to bend down from the fade/dip area makes the bow look pretty flat through that middle section.  BUT, again it worked out, didn't it?  And the bow did not seem to take excessive set, either, which a lot of people say oak will.  So, yeah, you did fine!

Offline Ben.Kellerman

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2018, 04:34:00 pm »
Just wanted to thank everyone who chimed in again!  Bow is in solid working order(so far).  I'm probably going to be shamed immensely for the following statements but first off,  I've been shooting it with the paracord I had on hand(sorry).  Secondly,  how much of an improvement in speed and accuracy can I expect to see with the actual bow string I ordered from my local Archery/hunting shop?(2nd shame I know, I'll order string and make my own)

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2018, 06:34:02 pm »
Welcome Ben, ya definitely want to learn to make your own strings if you're going to be making bows. For $25 you can get two different color spools of b-50 and some serving and make a few dozen strings or some thing like that. You do the math, it will save you a ton. More money for bow wood.  Fascinating thing about this hobby,  all the modern tools you can have, a stack of reference books along with online forums, just  to make something a cave man could've with a piece of sharp rock. Those guys don't get near the credit they deserve.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline pnwarcher

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2018, 02:23:24 am »
Nice work, that looks a lot better than my first bow. I like to finish with tru-oil and johnson's floor wax. For oily tropical woods, deft lacquer spray works well. If you put a B50 string (or even better, fast flight) on there, it'll be a noticeable improvement over paracord.
Welcome to your new obsession!  :BB

Offline M2A

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2018, 07:44:13 am »
Bow looks great. Congratulations! 

Offline Ben.Kellerman

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2018, 08:43:35 pm »
 >:D (S)FATAL MISTAKES WERE MADE AND TRAGEDY STRUCK!  Mistake #1:  Leaving bow in car for 36hrs in below freezing temps.  Mistake #2:  After finally remembering it was out there and bringing it inside, without even thinking(moment of complete stupidity) giving it a good flex to "warm'er up"!  CRACK!!!  "OH NO! maybe it was just the lacquer??".....nope small crack among some chrysalling(sp?) just above the top fade! (=)?  I cursed myself going to a hardwood specialty shop I found the other day where I got 3 slabs of beautiful hickory cut for my next bow and for my 2 kids first bows.  IDIOT! 

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2018, 08:55:46 pm »
hate to hear that, seems like a lot of bow snapping going on today. Maybe its that moon thing going on tonight. Good luck on the next ones.

Offline Ben.Kellerman

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2018, 09:00:21 pm »
Thanks JW.  Kinda broke my heart a bit.  I know many don't even get to throw an arrow with their first bow, so I should feel grateful.  I was there though!!  Darn it!

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2018, 09:23:32 pm »
Probably had nothing to do with the cold. I'm a newbie as well. Your fades had really sharp angles, id feather them in more on the next ones. Also red oak from lowes which I used for my first several bows, sometimes it blows for unknow reasons. If ya bought good hickory from a specialty wood store you should have better luck. But do some reseach on those fades and handle area, took me a few before I got it figured out. Only my last 4 or 5 bows have been successful so I'm no expert. Got some pics if your interested.

Offline Ben.Kellerman

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2018, 11:06:29 pm »
Thanks again.  Would love to see them.