Author Topic: Long last but found barrel company ad  (Read 5810 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Long last but found barrel company ad
« on: January 23, 2018, 06:45:31 pm »
Just found the ad that I got my old barrel from back in the nineteen eighties.I replaced the barrel back then with their longer 35" barrel on a .54 johnathon browning hawken that came with a 30" barrel.A round ball barrel with a 1 full twist in 72" with rifling cut in to .10 to .12 deep.No big deal I suppose but glad I found it anyway to know exactly what I got again and to me the barrel is the gun really.I don't think this barrel company is in business any more though and the gun itself has been discontinued being made too.
Kind of a neat story to get this gun really.One winter I tanned and hand sewed  8 or 10 fur hats back then of coon/coyote/skunk/badger/ and muskrat.I went to the upcoming rendezvous in the spring and laid out my trade blanket.I sold every hat within a few hours.It got me 300.00.I went to the shooting range where their was a shoot going on and a gun dealer was there.Would'nt you know it the johnny brown gun was there for sale for 300.00 so I bought it.That was back in 1980.Since then I've shot countless deer & even many squirrels with head shots with this gun it seems because of it's accuracy.Target shooting it playing games at rendezvous with it too.I think I used to put 4 shots in a 4" circle open sites shot back then with a couple of bulls eyes @ 100 yards.I can't really say the amount of shots through it but quite a few I'd say.It's been a dependable very accurate gun to this day.Brass and iron furniture with a black walnut stock.
The ad.

The gun.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 06:51:47 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Long last but found barrel company ad
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 07:35:17 pm »
Any chance that was Jackie Brown? 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 10:07:05 pm »
I may have this wrong but I think the Montana barrel companys equipment was bought by the current Oregon Barrel company. the Gun Works Emporium sells these barrels now.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 07:39:38 am »
JW....Ha Ha!!!I think this gun was made before Jackie Brown was a movie....lol.
Eric....Thanks for the info about the barrels.I've read on this ad too where the company who made the gun was Browning Arms Co.in Morgan,Utah,and sold all inventory of the .45 and .50 cal. models to Midway Arms Company in Columbia,Missouri when Browning discontinued production of this gun.The barrels they sell with the gun are 1 in 66" twist.
One seasons hunt with the gun.Back then it got cold enough long enough to let the meat age some.

BowEd
Ed

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 06:39:29 pm »
No, seriously Ed. Jackie Brown is a well known and talented gunmaker. Mind you, he is also famous for losing your money and your order so you have to wait years for your gun while someone else gets theirs in a matter of six months.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 07:44:36 am »
I see.I never heard of him.He sounds like a frustrating fellow to work with then.
I was lucky to have this gun in hand to look at before I shelled over the money.
Since the barrel is 1" wide at the lands & 35" long it is a fairly heavy gun to tote long distances.A good 10#'s.Back then I had made a vegetable tanned an elk hide.Then I made a custom made for this paticular gun a canvas lined leather rifle sock or case with a strap on it to go over the shoulder to make carrying it hands free carrying and on my shoulders.It is carried on the back in a barrel pointing down fashion.Quite handy.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 10:06:47 am »
Nice to have the documentation, all adds to the story :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.