Author Topic: Tillering stave with reflex  (Read 2897 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Tillering stave with reflex
« on: January 23, 2018, 11:43:50 pm »
Got my  hickory stave to bend some when floor tillering, but have about 2-3" reflex.  Question is when to put it on the tillering tree?  Plan to cut nicks tomorrow 66" ntn, 1 7/8 at fades, roughly following Paul Comstock's guidelines, 5/8" at fades, 1/2" at mid limb, 3/8" at tips.  I still have working room to get to those points.  All work is on belly and sides, handle and fades are still rough outs.  Thanks,
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Badger

Re: Tillering stave with reflex
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 03:30:07 am »
   I would not build it by measuring thickness. You can put it on the tree right now if you like and get it bending evenly. 1/2" and 3/8" the bow could be too light.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 07:10:02 am »
I tried to build my first few board bows by cutting down to predetermined thickness, every one came in way under weight.
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 07:23:30 am »
I agree with Badger. Put it on the tree.
More on my site.
http://traditionalarchery101.com
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 07:25:23 am »
I get them floor tillered and bending pretty even and go straight to the long string, don't really measure anything as far as thickness of the limbs. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 07:42:06 am »
  Glad you still have working room at this point...As stated, start your tiller and allow the finished bow to depict the limb thickness...Floor tiller is Important, get it bending as you lean into it on each limb and go to tillering technique...No two bows are the same...I have multiple bows of Hickory, Osage and others that are all very close to my preferred draw weight and none of them are the same in thickness dimensions...
                                                                                                                                      Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline willie

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 03:07:50 pm »
Hawk

when I put a new design on the tiller tree for the first time, I always stop and take a real hard look when the stave gets to bending about to brace height. I actually hang a weight on the longstring, and stretch a piece of yarn straight between the tips and take a pic.
Heres where I note the lbs of the weight, and carefully compare my pic to pics of other braced bows of similar designs and maybe even stop for the evening so i can get a fresh perspective in the morning.

Offline Yard Dog

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 05:13:38 pm »
I never go by thickness either.... I would come out light , for sure.... ;)

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 12:17:20 am »
Got as far as getting the reflex straight, now to got past that point toward brace height!  Also had to even up the limbs somewhat.  Big question is how to determine the correct string length to get to 5-6" fistmele (brace height) with 2+ inches of reflex
https://i.imgur.com/F2PSBEk_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
Jerry

Offline willie

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 12:30:40 am »
Hawk, there is a formula for finding the string length of a finished bow, but rather than brace it too early I just use a adjustable knot on one end of a longstring (and a spliced loop on the other), and sneak up on brace slowly. I have been getting the bow to bend about 3/4 of full draw on the long string before bracing with the shorter string.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 06:23:28 am »
Hawkdancer a couple things to keep in mind with reflex design. You may already know but just in case.
First any area that has reflex in unbraced profile will look like it's not bending as much when strung and being drawn. It's really easy to remove to much wood from reflex area and develop a hinge. I agree with everyone not to go by deminsions but I do use my fingers like a calipers to help me especially through those transitions from reflex to straight or deflex.
Another thing is they are a bit harder to get braced and tend to feel heavier than they really are when stringing. I missed my target weight on first reflex static recurve thinking it was much heavier than it really was because of the early string tension. I think this is more of a problem with recurve design and just my personal observation. It took me a couple reflex recurve bows to get a feel for them.
Good Luck and don't be afraid to post pictures and ask questions.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 12:32:31 pm »
Got as far as an level draw on the long string, pulls about 46#, my target is in that range.  Getting into positive tiller appears to increase the weight, so I am going very slow.  Pics, I hope.  Top limb is to the left.  Going to try to increase bend this afternoon, very carefully!  Also how to treat thickness at a bump on the back?  Does not appear to be a knot.  Thanks,
Hawkdancer

https://i.imgur.com/rzfohCb.jpg
Jerry

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 12:51:11 pm »
It is going to read about the same weight on the long string as it does if it were braced. Once you work it down to about 23" at your target weight it should be ready to brace. I would ignore the thickness things you are looking at and just keep adjust the bend by removing wood where needed or use a gizmo if you are having trouble seeing it.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 07:40:30 pm »
Steve,
Thanks.  Put another 2" on the long string, weight went up to 57#, with about 1" more bend.  I took it off tension asap!  Going at it with the 20 strokes and floor tiller, then the tree, still. Real stiff on the floor tiller.   
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 07:48:09 pm »
THIS is a really good thing to know BTW.