Author Topic: Draw knife, need a good one.  (Read 6084 times)

Offline Dances with squirrels

Re: Draw knife, need a good one.
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2018, 03:51:38 pm »
I use the drawknife for removing bark, sapwood, and chasing rings. I work quickly with the bevel up for 90% of it, flip it over for finesse around knots, delicate or unusual areas, but then generally put it away, allow it to dry and season, and ultimately progress to cabinet scrapers and sandpaper for the bow's back, and the Nicholson #49, Bowyer's Edge, cabinet scrapers, and then sandpaper for the bow's belly.

No, I don't use cabinet scrapers as my last tool before I finish a bow because it leaves little flats behind and I don't leave flats of any sort on my bows. So I move from them to sandpaper, in progressively finer grades.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline bentstick54

Re: Draw knife, need a good one.
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2018, 05:35:41 pm »
I use my drawknife for 90% of my work. I have only made 11 or 12 selfbows, all Osage. I chase my final ring on the back, thin the belly down, and use one as a scraper on the belly instead of a scraper. I do have card scrapers, but my hands cramp fairly easily and a draw knife is just easier for me to grip. I will use a scraper around knots where it is to close for me to get to with a drawknife. Then I might touch up with fine sandpaper if I feel the need.