Author Topic: DNA or boiling methods for drying maple and oak for a bow riser?  (Read 1860 times)

Offline jaybirdjones

I have a some green oak and maple trees laying around and was wondering if anyone had any experience in quick method drying with alcohol or by boiling and bagging. They wouldn't be for  single piece bows, but 20 or 22 in. takedown risers. All the information I can find are for either smaller tool handles or wood bowls. I do have a large steel receptacle for boiling, it's a manual clothes washer from the 50s :)

Offline PatM

Re: DNA or boiling methods for drying maple and oak for a bow riser?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 10:34:55 am »
You'd probably be better served by using a microwave.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 11:12:20 am »
You can make a pretty simple hot /dry box with 4 light bulbs  you can usually get up to 150-55 Deg F depending on your insulation ,with four, I have one with 2 bulbs and 2 electric blankets it can get to 198 Deg F  you could start out with one bulb and work your way up ,with white wood it would be preety fast in TBB they made one with stove pipe and one bulb but you have to rotate the wood .
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 12:33:56 pm »
I was once a serious duck decoy carver and used a microwave to dry wood a couple of times. I found that a microwave will burn wood in the center if you leave it in too long, charred black. Done cautiously it works great, do a few test pieces before you attempt to dry a good piece of wood.

Offline jaybirdjones

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 12:41:27 pm »
Thank you for responding☺, my microwave is shamefully small and the whole wiring in the bulbs was intimidating enough for me to want to pass over the hot box method (burning down the garage would be a setback for me) I DO happen to have old stove pipe out back so awesome! I have another avenue to explore. I'm counting this as a win👍

Offline Morgan

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 12:50:04 pm »
I haven’t done any dimensional lumber, but have boiled dozens of limb forks for slingshots. The process should be similar I think.  The ends will check. You can control how deeply to some extent. If I’m boiling forks, it’s usually an all day deal. I’ll put 3 or 4 in a canning pot and completely submerge in water and keep a plate over the forks to keep them sunk. I get the water too hot to put a finger in but not boiling for 3 or 4 hours. Then I will bring to a rolling boil for another 3 or 4 hours depending on the size of the forks being boiled. I get less checking this way. I have microwaved every way I can think of and haven’t had any luck with forks at all, they split at the Middle of the fork for me every time.

Offline jaybirdjones

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 02:33:40 pm »
That must be frustrating. And that is what I was thinking,  i have this giant steel pot on legs basically and I could boil 3-4 at a time. My only concern is the size and thickness of the risers are going to be bigger than the pieces woodworkers normally dry that way. That being said I'm gonna try at least once anyway 8)