Poll

Do we have enough interest in a dedicated blacksmithing/bladesmithing forum?

Add new blacksmithing/bladesmithing forum
42 (72.4%)
Leave things as they are and use"Around the Campfire" to post about blacksmithing/bladesmithing
6 (10.3%)
Don't add any more new forums
0 (0%)
Doesn't matter one way or the other
10 (17.2%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Voting closed: February 04, 2018, 09:56:16 pm

Author Topic: At the Forge  (Read 4948 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
At the Forge
« on: January 28, 2018, 09:56:16 pm »
I'm starting this poll to see how deep the interest in a dedicated blacksmithing/bladesmithing forum would be. If we decide to go ahead with the new forum   we'll also need to set up rules so I'd like input on that also. After that a decision will be made by the Administrators and Moderators. This poll will run until next Sunday night February 4, 2018.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: At the Forge
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 09:02:48 am »
This poll will determine whether we start a dedicated forum for blacksmithing/bladesmithing so if you're interested get your votes in and let other members know about the poll. Only one vote per member.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 09:05:39 am »
I voted Pat.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 09:37:34 am »
My only thoughts are is that I'm for it even though I don't have a home made forge,but should other forums for tanning/leather work/wood carving skills/pottery/or basket weaving be given as much consideration also?I suppose Primitive Skills cover those topics.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 10:18:12 am »
Ed, we can't get carried away. I'm sure there is lots of primitive skills we could dedicate a forum to but lets keep it simple. Primitive Skills can cover the rest. I don't have a forge either but I'd be interested in trying to build a simple one for a few projects.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 11:26:09 am »
I voted. 

Pat, I made a very simple gas forge for heat treating knives out of a coffee can, plaster of paris, and sand.  Bubby told me how to do it.  I use a small torch for the heat source. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 11:58:26 am »
I think I understand what Ed is saying. I also think I understand what Pat is saying. I think the Primitive skills and around the campfire covers most stuff pretty well. I do think there's probably enough information to learn about forging that it could if accepted become its own section. I know I've got a lot of high quality steel that gets hauled to the "recycler" scrape yard every year. Wouldn't mind learning how to make forge and turn some of it into swords. Just the opposite of from "swords to plow shares"lol.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 11:59:21 am »
Clint, once(if) we get the new forum up maybe you could post pics with a description.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 12:40:08 pm »
Voted..
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 01:52:20 pm »
I voted.  Have always had an interest.  Would like to try my hand at some smithing, myself.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline JEB

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 02:26:02 pm »
voted.  I would like to learn something as simple as making fire strikers.  I like to give a few things away for donations to archery shoots and other fundraisers and that would just add to my collection of giveaways.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 05:27:45 pm »
Big yes from me.

Offline Greybuff

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 06:48:59 pm »
I say leave it as it is. As a blacksmith with a fully functioning blacksmith shop (power hammer, hydraulic press etc.) there are numerous places on the internet, youtube even state and a national organizations devoted to blacksmithing by itself and also knife making. The name of the magazine and this forum is "PRIMITIVE ARCHER" this is a very unique place that covers a great subject (PRIMITIVE ARCHERY and it's tools)
That to my knowledge, is not found anywhere else. If you try to be all things to all people, you lose sight of what your main focus was all about.
PM me if you want to learn about the national organization and it's state affilates. They are a good source of info and also offer monthly/bi-monthly get togethers for the purpose of spreading the art of blacksmithing.
Thanks.......paul

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 07:52:28 pm »
I voted also.
I've got a coal forge made out of a tractor trailer drum & a blower from a oil furnace.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 07:53:03 pm »
I say leave it as it is. As a blacksmith with a fully functioning blacksmith shop (power hammer, hydraulic press etc.) there are numerous places on the internet, youtube even state and a national organizations devoted to blacksmithing by itself and also knife making. The name of the magazine and this forum is "PRIMITIVE ARCHER" this is a very unique place that covers a great subject (PRIMITIVE ARCHERY and it's tools)
That to my knowledge, is not found anywhere else. If you try to be all things to all people, you lose sight of what your main focus was all about.
PM me if you want to learn about the national organization and it's state affilates. They are a good source of info and also offer monthly/bi-monthly get togethers for the purpose of spreading the art of blacksmithing.
Thanks.......paul

Well as a archer I don't gut things with a broadhead, and since not "all" archers carry stone knives, and flint knapping along with several other topics on this board have nothing to do with primitive archery, we would be left with quite a dull board. So, you can imagine how I voted  :)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.