Poll

Do we have enough interest in a dedicated blacksmithing/bladesmithing forum?

Add new blacksmithing/bladesmithing forum
42 (72.4%)
Leave things as they are and use"Around the Campfire" to post about blacksmithing/bladesmithing
6 (10.3%)
Don't add any more new forums
0 (0%)
Doesn't matter one way or the other
10 (17.2%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Voting closed: February 04, 2018, 09:56:16 pm

Author Topic: At the Forge  (Read 4947 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: At the Forge
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 09:34:15 pm »
Keep the votes and opinions coming, folks. We're interested in all opinions. That's how we'll make an educated decision.
Thanks for your opposition opinion, Greybuff. You've made some good points.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2018, 11:43:53 pm »
Well,  I was a little up in the air about this, especially after reading all the comments.
At first I thought,  heck yeah, thats a great idea! 
But then I thought,  just how many post have I seen on black smithing of any sorts in around the campfire over the last few years.  There has been some really interesting ones on there.  As well as a lot of other special skills. Heck I even posted a set of cabinets I built and a reperpased entertainment center I made into a kitchen for my neices. 

I guess what I'm saying is,  I really enjoy the variety in the campfire.  Anything from guns, to knives, to toys or even new shops and man caves. 

Blade and black smithing is a fine art of its own for sure.  But I think we can all agree that if someone asked a smithing question in the campfire they would get all the help they needed.  So that being said,  I vote to leave things the way they are. 
Don't get me wrong,  I would partake in a smithing forum in a heart beat.  But I just think the way things are on primitive archer is good just like it is. 

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 08:10:37 am »
Haven't read through all the comments but my first instinct is perhaps a child board for around the campfire.

1’—>1’

Stringman

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 08:38:28 am »
I’m not normally so neutral on a topic. More often than not, my opinion is much more firm. In this case, however, I really don’t care one way or the other.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2018, 09:30:49 am »
I’m not normally so neutral on a topic. More often than not, my opinion is much more firm. In this case, however, I really don’t care one way or the other.

Scott that's honestly the way I feel to. I understand the different view points. I feel them myself. I'm fine with whichever way this goes. I'm sure if I wanted to go to another site I could learn a enormous amount. I do believe this site should always keep its "Primitive Archer" as its number one priority. I am however kind of a jack of all trades master of none type guy. I'm interested in forging but not enough so far to visit another site. I would watch this one though. This is the only site of any kind that I belong to and I do feel like I belong to it.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2018, 10:14:47 am »
I don't think it would take anything away from PA.  It's more of a way to organize posts based on topic.  The search function on this site sucks.  Having all the metal work posts on one page would make it easier to find one if you wanted to. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2018, 11:40:48 am »
I don't like child boards much.  I love seeing knives and blacksmithing--I think they go really well in the campfire section, and I hope to see lots and lots of them there.

Also, to the comment above about flintknapping--it absolutely does have something to do with archery--it's the whole point of archery, you could say :-K 8)  far more than smithing does--except for making bodkin points an the like.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2018, 12:56:49 pm »
My thinking is similar to Clint.  Forging is actually a rather primitive skill, even with all the modern advancements in equipment.  The organization advantage is my logic.  A better search function would also be very nice.  "Primitive" is a rather large tent, tipi, or lodge, and the skills are many.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bubby

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2018, 01:04:26 pm »
Well I don't have a problem with it, most of the guys I know that do it build most of their equipment or remake it. I saw the argument about this being a archery forum, but when's the last time you read the magazine? It has strayed quite a ways from just archery, in fact under the name of the magazine it used to say classical archery and now it says classical weapons
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Stringman

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2018, 01:26:12 pm »
(ducks as daggers whiz past my head.)

Look out Bubby!  :o

Offline cjkopec

• Chasing Heartwood
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2018, 08:47:39 pm »
I voted. I have been wanting to get back at the forge for some time now.  I’d love to see some inspiration and get some advice.
Coby Kopec proud mom of Cahl  and
Founder of Chasing Heartwood

Enjoy the little things in life,
because one day you will look back,
and realize they were big things.

Offline UtahChippewa

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2018, 09:50:39 pm »
I voted as well.... also, quoted from my favorite Blacksmith of all time Rory May... aka dirtysmith  “Blacksmiths, since 1500 B.C....... even welders need a hero”

And amen to Osage outlaw’s post!!!
Knapping...
If you’re breakin’ You’re makin’
If you’re bleedin’  You’re succeedin’

Offline JEB

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2018, 08:04:31 am »
I did vote for it earlier.  If there is no additional cost to have a separate forum thread then I say go for it.  It will make it much easier to find black smithing when you want to view it.  Black smithing has about as much to do with Primitive Archery  as the Black Powder and Cooking threads do.  I also noticed that Flintknapping, which  really has a limited group of people that do it, has a sub forum ABO that hasn't been visited since July of 2017 yet there is no harm in having  that forum.

Consider giving it a go and if it fails to have an active following you can eliminate it down the road.

Thanks to the admins for their hard work on this site.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2018, 08:43:13 am »
A very good point JEB. Maybe a sub forum in primitive skills similar to ABO..  :OK
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2018, 11:15:28 am »
I personally think forging has more in common with primitive Archery than muzzle loader. It's a very old skill that has changed some but still mostly the same.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise