Author Topic: Life is Good (Up in The Northwest)  (Read 69106 times)

Offline Keenan

Re: Life is Good (Up in The Northwest)
« Reply #165 on: October 26, 2008, 07:59:40 pm »
 Good luck on your hunting Frank. We've been having some cold nights but real nice days this last week.  When you come down I could take you to some good spots for getting pics of those moster muleys ;D

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #166 on: October 26, 2008, 08:35:59 pm »
Yes, we do have Moss-ters down here durring the wet season!  ;)
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #167 on: October 26, 2008, 10:27:00 pm »
I've heard them referred to as "mossy horns". (Big muley's make me drool) I really like taking pictures of them (almost as much as perforating their lungs ! )
Okay,so this is what happened today.  Got up at 4 am  made coffee got on the computer and it was snowing good. Got off the computer and still had alot of time to kill before time to get dressed for hunting.Started chasing the ring on a stave,started getting light,snowing like mad.Kept chasing the ring started raining,did'nt ever get out of my jammies today,been working on the stave all day.Made good progress. I had the back of my stave all cleaned up but had'nt decided which ring to chase.This is the 1st time I ever chased a ring,. Man,  I thought I had loved the wood before,I did'nt know nothing, I have found true intimacy with the wood,chasing the ring. It's intense plus.
 Anywho,I took a picture. I'll try to post it later.
Found some little knots under that sap wood. Cute  Anyway,it may be a hunt day tomorrow.  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #168 on: October 27, 2008, 08:33:05 am »
Sounds like a great day Frank...anyone who has never chased a ring as part of the bow making process is missing out. I think it really adds to what the finished bow means to the maker when chasing a ring, determining the layout, and really getting to know the piece of wood is involved.  :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #169 on: October 27, 2008, 09:21:32 am »
Sounds like a good day,I love chasing a ring it is [Almost as much fun]as hunting.Wished
it would snow here.We don't get to hunt in it much and if we do it is very late in the
season. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #170 on: October 27, 2008, 09:47:12 am »
I love days like that Frank, gives ya time to unwind. But I usually get dressed ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Sparrow

• Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #171 on: October 27, 2008, 02:41:32 pm »
Cowboy    Getting dressed up here right now means putting on the long johns,wool socks and I can't stay in the house dressed like that,Margie Anne likes it about 68 degree's in here in the cold season's,so we wear what we call our comfy's,polar fleece pant's,long sleeved t-shirt,cotton socks otherwise you'll broil in your outside clothes. 25 days outa 30 you wear rubber boots(X-tra tuff's) outside,(we call them Alaska tennis shoes)  Raining today again, can't wait to get down south and out of the rain for a couple of months.When I hunt,I wear clothes that I can hunt in in the rain or wet snow and not get cold,or sweaty,under armour and micro-fleece stuff Yep,I do love to hunt in the snow Pappy,I like to track and doing it in the snow really let's you see what the critters are up to.  On sat. Margie Anne and I saw the tracks of otters,pine marten,red squirrel,deer and innumerable birds. We did'nt see any brown bear tracks,makes me believe they are in the dens a little early this year,which usually means we're going to have an early and usually long snowy winter.What few deer we have left after the winter of "06/"07{We lost 80 to 90 percnt of the herd locally) aren't recovering too good,last winter was'nt close to mild either. Will probably hunt deer on prince of wales island next year for deer,unless we get a moose or a couple of caribou next sept.Then I will go hunt a buck just to get out of the house and keep my skills's up.    Frank

Offline Sparrow

• Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #172 on: November 10, 2008, 03:45:40 pm »
 Well , We made it to Washington state last Fri. went over to Puyallup and hung out with the knapping demo guys at the rock show Fri. afternoon.What a great bunch of guys. Went back on sat.(This was my first knap-in ! ) Met David (D.Tiller) And banged on some rocks. Learned some technique for BIG spalling and ishi stick 101.Jim gave me a copper bopper and I got to glean the chip piles and scored some major arrow head material,Dacite (My favorite) All but ready for pressure flaking (My strong suite) What a great time.Would have liked to sit in all weekend but had to get my wife over to Tri-Cities to see her grandbaby.Sat in a goose pit yesterday afternoon and have four geese for meat and primaries. Ya Hoo !
Might be a deer hunt this week.
The leaves are just starting to fall good here.Beautiful.   Frank

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #173 on: November 10, 2008, 08:25:18 pm »
It was good meeting ya Frank. Hope you can make it down this way for more knapp Inns. Did you get together with Keenan and Dave Cheney?  Now we need to get you to the Glass Buttes at the end of March. Now thats a knapp Inn. Make sure you bring you long Johns and shorts. Never can tell what the weather will bring then. One minute its 70 and sunny the next its 25 and snowing!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Keenan

« Reply #174 on: November 10, 2008, 10:01:56 pm »
 Hey Frank are you on your way over here? Hope we didn't miss you coming through ???

Offline Sparrow

• Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #175 on: November 11, 2008, 12:14:38 pm »
 Staying with a buddy in Benton city,Wa. We've done a bunch of bumming around and dealing with the leaves falling,He's got 2 acre's of maples and black walnut tree's  all dropping they're leaves right now. Raining today.
  Happy Veteran's day to all, and a big "Thank You" to all you Vet's.Your service to our country is greatly appreciated.   Frank

Offline Sparrow

• Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #176 on: November 18, 2008, 10:38:39 am »
 Been a busy week. Had a big party at my buddy coach's place on sat. night.Kids,grandkids,friends,and others.Whew ! drank a half gallon of rotgut,ate elk,mule deer and goose hot off the bar-b-cuer,tater salad,various other brought out dishes,and had angels food cake and wild strawberries and whipped cream for dessert.We had a large fire down along the river and consumed more rotgut and told tall truth's.There were kids in the hot tub and dogs running around and it was quite the shindig. Up at 4:30 a.m. sunday morning to drive down to Oregon and hunt pheasants over pointers.(Head was hurting for some reason) Saw mule deer bucks with swollen necks a chasin' does, all along the drive. Shot a mess of birds and was back home by 4:00 p.m. Margie Anne and I are up in Idaho this morning,stayed the night with my sister and are driving over to missoula,mont. and point's east today.Ought to be out and under the big sky by mid-morning. Frank

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 10:42:46 am by Fishoonah »

Offline Sparrow

• Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #177 on: November 23, 2008, 12:03:41 pm »
Took a trip over into montana for several days.Weather started out in the 60's and up to 70 in white sulfer springs ! But we woke up at fort peck on thurs. morning and it was 9 degree's F.  Winter came in with a snowflake or two. Saw alot of beautiful country and critters. Bought a deer "B" lic. at Glasgow for a mule deer doe.Had a couple of shot oppurtunities but passed on them to take a picture instead.I been running into this problem lately of wanting to get the picture more than kill the critter.I was fairly slavering over the thought of a big, fat deer steak cooked rare over coals,salt and pepper to taste. Here's a couple of pictures of critters encountered on the trip.

Offline Sparrow

• Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #178 on: November 23, 2008, 12:09:49 pm »
Coupla more pictures of the trip

Offline Keenan

« Reply #179 on: November 23, 2008, 12:30:41 pm »
 Nice pics Frank, sounds like your having a good trip........minus the self induced headache ;D